Basketball

Canes crushed by No. 5 Maryland, 89-64

Sylvia Bullock, forward, goes for the shot as Demauria Liles of Maryland blocks.  TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR  

Sylvia Bullock, forward, goes for the shot as Demauria Liles of Maryland blocks. TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Maryland (25-4, 12-2), winners of nine straight games, clinched their first ACC regular season title since 1989 and locked up the number one seed in the upcoming ACC tournament in Greensboro, N.C.

“I don’t think we made a statement early,” head coach Katie Meier said. “They are a great basketball team.”

Senior forward Marissa Coleman paved the way for the Terrapins with 17 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. Maryland had five players in double digits.

Freshman guard Riquna Williams scored 17 points and senior forward Lamese James added 16 points for Miami.

The Hurricanes (13-16, 2-12) never led and trailed by as many as 32 points.

“They are awesome,” Meier said. “They are one of the most fluid teams across the nation. They have been like that for the past couple of years.”

Maryland held Miami’s top two scorers in check. Freshman sensation Shenise Johnson had eight points and shot one for seven from the field. In 31 minutes of action, senior guard LaToya Cunningham was held scoreless and took only one shot.

“They shut down LaToya and Shenise,” Meier said. “They made a statement defensively. They were clicking.”

Maryland took command early. In the first half, the Terrapins went on a 16-3 run and had a strong 48-32 lead going to halftime. Another 13-2 run in the second half sealed Miami’s fate.

“I’m so proud of the team,” said Maryland head coach Brenda Frese, who guided Maryland to a national championship in 2006. “It was a special win for us, being ACC champions for the first time in 20 years. Tremendous win for us.”

The Canes couldn’t handle Maryland in the inside. The Terrapins out-rebounded Miami 52 to 35. Coleman and 6’4″ freshman center Lynetta Kizer combined for 26 of the team’s rebounds.

“We [are]just getting better,” Coleman said.

Miami has had it tough down the stretch this year. The Canes have lost five straight and their last four opponents have been ranked.

“We had a tough end of the season,” Meier said. “Three ranked teams on the road then a top team in Maryland at home. That’s tough.”

Miami will try to end the season on a positive note in the ACC tournament.

“We still can write our own book,” James said. “We want to go to the ACC tournament and make a Cinderella story.”

Lelan LeDoux

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...