Basketball

Canes crushed by No. 5 Maryland, 89-64

Sylvia Bullock, forward, goes for the shot as Demauria Liles of Maryland blocks.  TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR  

Sylvia Bullock, forward, goes for the shot as Demauria Liles of Maryland blocks. TANYA THOMPSON // ASSISTANT PHOTO EDITOR

Maryland (25-4, 12-2), winners of nine straight games, clinched their first ACC regular season title since 1989 and locked up the number one seed in the upcoming ACC tournament in Greensboro, N.C.

“I don’t think we made a statement early,” head coach Katie Meier said. “They are a great basketball team.”

Senior forward Marissa Coleman paved the way for the Terrapins with 17 points and a career-high 16 rebounds. Maryland had five players in double digits.

Freshman guard Riquna Williams scored 17 points and senior forward Lamese James added 16 points for Miami.

The Hurricanes (13-16, 2-12) never led and trailed by as many as 32 points.

“They are awesome,” Meier said. “They are one of the most fluid teams across the nation. They have been like that for the past couple of years.”

Maryland held Miami’s top two scorers in check. Freshman sensation Shenise Johnson had eight points and shot one for seven from the field. In 31 minutes of action, senior guard LaToya Cunningham was held scoreless and took only one shot.

“They shut down LaToya and Shenise,” Meier said. “They made a statement defensively. They were clicking.”

Maryland took command early. In the first half, the Terrapins went on a 16-3 run and had a strong 48-32 lead going to halftime. Another 13-2 run in the second half sealed Miami’s fate.

“I’m so proud of the team,” said Maryland head coach Brenda Frese, who guided Maryland to a national championship in 2006. “It was a special win for us, being ACC champions for the first time in 20 years. Tremendous win for us.”

The Canes couldn’t handle Maryland in the inside. The Terrapins out-rebounded Miami 52 to 35. Coleman and 6’4″ freshman center Lynetta Kizer combined for 26 of the team’s rebounds.

“We [are]just getting better,” Coleman said.

Miami has had it tough down the stretch this year. The Canes have lost five straight and their last four opponents have been ranked.

“We had a tough end of the season,” Meier said. “Three ranked teams on the road then a top team in Maryland at home. That’s tough.”

Miami will try to end the season on a positive note in the ACC tournament.

“We still can write our own book,” James said. “We want to go to the ACC tournament and make a Cinderella story.”

Lelan LeDoux

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...