Baseball

Canes win second straight, series against Gators, 2-1

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson drove in a run in both the third and fifth innings on Saturday afternoon as No. 10 Miami defeated No. 12 Florida 2-1 at McKethan Stadium.

Starting pitcher David Gutierrez (1-0) pitched seven scoreless innings for the Hurricanes (5-1), while junior closer Kyle Bellamy allowed an unearned run and stranded the tying runner on third in the ninth for his third save of the season.

Jackson, a preseason All-American, is now batting .409 and has six RBI in the third spot in the lineup. Freshman first baseman Harold Martinez also went 2 for 4.

Freshman southpaw Alex Panteliodis (1-1) took the loss for the Gators (5-2) despite giving up just two runs over 5.2 innings. Junior right-hander Billy Bullock didn’t surrender a run in the remaining 3.1 innings of relief.

On Friday night, senior left fielder Jonathan Weislow hit two home runs – the first of his collegiate career – for five RBI as the Canes beat UF 8-5.

Sophomore All-American lefty Chris Hernandez (2-0) gave up four earned runs over five innings. Freshman left-hander Daniel Miranda and Bellamy combined on four innings of one-run ball in relief.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...