Baseball

Canes win second straight, series against Gators, 2-1

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson drove in a run in both the third and fifth innings on Saturday afternoon as No. 10 Miami defeated No. 12 Florida 2-1 at McKethan Stadium.

Starting pitcher David Gutierrez (1-0) pitched seven scoreless innings for the Hurricanes (5-1), while junior closer Kyle Bellamy allowed an unearned run and stranded the tying runner on third in the ninth for his third save of the season.

Jackson, a preseason All-American, is now batting .409 and has six RBI in the third spot in the lineup. Freshman first baseman Harold Martinez also went 2 for 4.

Freshman southpaw Alex Panteliodis (1-1) took the loss for the Gators (5-2) despite giving up just two runs over 5.2 innings. Junior right-hander Billy Bullock didn’t surrender a run in the remaining 3.1 innings of relief.

On Friday night, senior left fielder Jonathan Weislow hit two home runs – the first of his collegiate career – for five RBI as the Canes beat UF 8-5.

Sophomore All-American lefty Chris Hernandez (2-0) gave up four earned runs over five innings. Freshman left-hander Daniel Miranda and Bellamy combined on four innings of one-run ball in relief.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...