Baseball

Canes win second straight, series against Gators, 2-1

Junior shortstop Ryan Jackson drove in a run in both the third and fifth innings on Saturday afternoon as No. 10 Miami defeated No. 12 Florida 2-1 at McKethan Stadium.

Starting pitcher David Gutierrez (1-0) pitched seven scoreless innings for the Hurricanes (5-1), while junior closer Kyle Bellamy allowed an unearned run and stranded the tying runner on third in the ninth for his third save of the season.

Jackson, a preseason All-American, is now batting .409 and has six RBI in the third spot in the lineup. Freshman first baseman Harold Martinez also went 2 for 4.

Freshman southpaw Alex Panteliodis (1-1) took the loss for the Gators (5-2) despite giving up just two runs over 5.2 innings. Junior right-hander Billy Bullock didn’t surrender a run in the remaining 3.1 innings of relief.

On Friday night, senior left fielder Jonathan Weislow hit two home runs – the first of his collegiate career – for five RBI as the Canes beat UF 8-5.

Sophomore All-American lefty Chris Hernandez (2-0) gave up four earned runs over five innings. Freshman left-hander Daniel Miranda and Bellamy combined on four innings of one-run ball in relief.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...