Tennis

Canes handle Wolverines 6-1

Tenth-ranked Miami cruised past No. 18 Michigan in a 6-1 victory Thursday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

The Wolverines (5-3) won the doubles point with wins in the first and third positions, including 21st-ranked tandem junior Tania Mahtani and senior Chisako Sugiyama’s 8-4 decision over sophomore Julia Cohen and junior Laura Vallverdu.

After sophomore Michaela Kissell and freshman Gabriela Mejia won 8-6 in the second slot, junior Claudia Wasilewski and sophomore Bianca Eichkorn battled back from an early 6-2 deficit but fell 9-8.

“Losing the doubles point is getting old,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews said. “Our goal is to get that doubles point and really put the pressure on our opponents to try and beat us four-out-of-six in singles. And with the team we have, and the way we’re playing, I think that’s going to be tough for a lot of people if we continue to play like we are in singles.”

In singles competition, Cohen (No. 20) fell behind 2-0 in the opening set yet turned things around for a 6-3, 6-1 win in the first position.

“My game is mostly just running down a lot of shots and I thought I didn’t miss that much and I moved really well today,” Cohen said.

Kissell (No. 60) handled her opponent in straight sets, 6-4, 6-0, Mejia won her fourth-straight match and Vallverdu clinched the team victory with a 7-5, 6-2 win. Eichkorn (No. 51), who played in the third slot, won 6-4, 6-1 and stretched her win streak to five. Wasilewski kept the Hurricanes perfect in singles play in a three-set affair, 4-6, 6-3, 10-4.

“We switched Michaela and Bianca today, but I told them at the beginning of the year ‘if they worked hard and showed hard work, then they’d both get some time at No. 3 [singles],’ and we felt Bianca earned that chance today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said.

Miami hosts Atlantic Coast Conference opponent Boston College (3-2) next Thursday at 10 a.m. at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

“Overall, it was another good win for us against another ranked opponent, and I thought the girls showed a lot of heart out there today,” Yaroshuk-Tews said. “We are going to take a few days off to get away from the court, and then get back to it on Monday. I think the time away will help all of us right now after a tough stretch of matches the last few weeks.”

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...