Sports Briefs

GOLF

Sophomore Christina Hirano finished tied for sixth by shooting an even-par 72 for her highest finish as a Hurricane as UM shared the title at the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic on Tuesday at Cougar Point Golf Club in South Carolina.

Miami won its first team tournament since the 2004-05 season, when the program won the Ryder Florida Collegiate Golf Championship.

The Hurricanes shot a season-best 904 for the tournament, tying Central Arkansas. Neither team could participate in a playoff due to travel arrangements. Four UM golfers placed in the top 40 of the 215 golfers in the field.

Miami will compete in the Spartan Invitational hosted by San Jose State on Monday in San Jose, Calif.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton is among 30 mid-season candidates for the 2009 Naismith Trophy, given annually to the player of the year as voted on by the Atlanta Tipoff Club’s Board of Selectors, which comprises basketball journalists, coaches and administrators from across the country.

This year’s award will be presented at the NCAA men’s Final Four in Detroit.

McClinton, the ACC’s all-time 3-point field goal percentage leader (.446), also leads the ACC this season in 3-point field goal percentage (.477) and 3-pointers per game (3.2). He ranks among the league’s top five in both scoring (20.1 ppg) and free throw percentage (.860).

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

Freshman guard Shenise Johnson was named the ACC Rookie of the Week after she nearly led the Hurricanes to upset wins over two ranked teams. This marks her third such accolade of the season.

She fell a rebound shy of a triple-double against No. 23 Virginia when she scored 25 points, distributed a career-high 10 assists and grabbed nine rebounds. The 2008 McDonald’s High School All-American currently leads all ACC freshmen in points (13.3), free-throw percentage (.848) and steals (2.7). Johnson is second in rebounds (6.8) and assists (4.0).

BASEBALL

Former Hurricanes Alex Cora and Carlos Gutierrez have been named to team Puerto Rico for next month’s World Baseball Classic.

Cora, a recent signee with the New York Mets, is an 11-year Major League Baseball veteran with 688 career hits. Gutierrez, a first-round draft pick of the Minnesota Twins last year, went 3-1 with a 2.10 ERA with the Class A Advanced Fort Myers Miracle last season.

Team Puerto Rico, along with fellow Pool D members Dominican Republic, Netherlands and Panama, will play its first round games at Hiram Bithorn Stadium in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...