Knight Arts Challenge offers opportunities to professionals and students alike

The Knight Arts Challenge, sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, is a local contest aimed at bringing together the South Florida community through an appreciation for the arts. The foundation will be accepting applications through 9 a.m. on Monday, March 2.

Applicants must abide by only three rules: the project must relate to art, all submissions must take place in or benefit South Florida, and winners must find a monetary match to their grant donations.

The project, which is in its second year of existence, is part of a five-year $40 million initiative open to non-profit organizations, companies and individuals.

“If you have a great idea, you should be applying,” said Dennis Scholl, the interim Miami program director for the Knight Center.

The application process is quite simple. It only consists of two sections: the title of the project and a 150-word description.

The project is a good opportunity for University of Miami students who have an artistic vision and want to make a difference in the South Florida community.

“I’d be surprised if one of the winning ideas didn’t come out of UM,” Scholl said.

In fact, two UM graduates, film students Josh Miller and Sam Rega, were granted $750,000 to start the Miami World Cinema Center last year – an initiative that benefits local independent filmmakers.

President Donna E. Shalala was last year’s top winner, earning $1.8 million for the University of Miami’s post-graduate program for rising artists.

For more information, visit www.knightarts.org.

INFO BOX:

In 2008…

– The Knight Arts Challenge received 1643 applications.

– 77 semi-finalists were allowed to elaborate on their ideas.

– 32 winners were announced.

– Collectively, they were awarded $8 million.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...