Knight Arts Challenge offers opportunities to professionals and students alike

The Knight Arts Challenge, sponsored by the John S. and James L. Knight Foundation, is a local contest aimed at bringing together the South Florida community through an appreciation for the arts. The foundation will be accepting applications through 9 a.m. on Monday, March 2.

Applicants must abide by only three rules: the project must relate to art, all submissions must take place in or benefit South Florida, and winners must find a monetary match to their grant donations.

The project, which is in its second year of existence, is part of a five-year $40 million initiative open to non-profit organizations, companies and individuals.

“If you have a great idea, you should be applying,” said Dennis Scholl, the interim Miami program director for the Knight Center.

The application process is quite simple. It only consists of two sections: the title of the project and a 150-word description.

The project is a good opportunity for University of Miami students who have an artistic vision and want to make a difference in the South Florida community.

“I’d be surprised if one of the winning ideas didn’t come out of UM,” Scholl said.

In fact, two UM graduates, film students Josh Miller and Sam Rega, were granted $750,000 to start the Miami World Cinema Center last year – an initiative that benefits local independent filmmakers.

President Donna E. Shalala was last year’s top winner, earning $1.8 million for the University of Miami’s post-graduate program for rising artists.

For more information, visit www.knightarts.org.

INFO BOX:

In 2008…

– The Knight Arts Challenge received 1643 applications.

– 77 semi-finalists were allowed to elaborate on their ideas.

– 32 winners were announced.

– Collectively, they were awarded $8 million.

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...