Interfraternity Council receives two awards

Despite the fact that in less than a month, one fraternity’s charter was revoked and another was raided by police, there is news worth celebrating on fraternity row.

This past weekend in Atlanta, the Interfraternity Council (IFC) received two awards. IFC executive board members gathered from colleges all over the southeast for the annual Southeastern IFC Conference.

“I am very excited,” said Shawn Kacker, a junior and the president of UM’s IFC. “It highlights the positives of Greeks on campus in spite of the negative news we have heard lately.”

The IFC serves as a liaison between fraternities and the University of Miami administration.

The first honor UM received was the Academic Achievement and Scholarship award. This is awarded to the IFC that best exemplifies good merit and a high fraternity grade point average.

This past fall semester, the average GPA of students in a fraternity was higher than all other male students on campus. The average GPA of fraternity members was 3.282, while the men’s average GPA was 3.197.

Beta Theta Pi had the highest average GPA, at 3.373. Sigma Phi Epsilon was right behind, averaging a 3.370 GPA.

The second award was the highest honor given at the meeting. Miami received the 2009 Fraternal Excellence Award, which is given to the councils that exemplify excellence in multiple facets of fraternity life. It was the first time since 2004 that UM received the prestigious award.

“It means a lot,” said Brandon Gross, a former IFC president and the current president of Student Government. “It shows the great things fraternity life is doing. There will occasionally be individuals that will not live up to the values of their respective fraternities, but as a whole we are doing good things.”

Justin Antweil

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...