Director of education at Miller School of Medicine’s Miami Project to Cure Paralysis dead in apparent murder/suicide

Maria Amador, director of education at the Miller School of Medicine’s Miami Project to Cure Paralysis, has died, according to a statement from university president Donna E. Shalala.

According to reports from The Miami Herald, South Miami police say Amador’s husband Pablo shot her and two of their children Wednesday morning before turning the gun on himself.

“Today we mourn the terrible loss of a special member of the University of Miami family,” Shalala said in her statement to the university community. “[Maria] was beloved by her colleagues and the many people she served with dedication and compassion.”

Amador is survived by two children, 16-year old son Javier, who escaped the house and called 911 on a cordless phone, and 20-year-old daughter, Beula ”Bea” Beatriz Amador, a sophomore majoring in music education in the Frost School of Music.

“We will do all we can to help [Bea] and wrap our arms around her as she deals with this tragedy,” Frost School Dean Shelly Berg said in the statement.

The university has established a fund to assist Bea and Javier through this tragedy. If you wish to contribute to this fund, please send a check payable to The University of Miami, P.O. Box 248073, Coral Gables, FL 33124. Please include on the checks that funds are for the benefit of the Amador Family.

Matthew Bunch

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...