Author, visiting UM professor to speak at Coral Gables Books & Books

Exploring the Cuban diaspora in Miami and beyond, University of Miami visiting professor and author Ruth Behar, along with editor Lucía M. Suárez, combines the experiences of many to uncover how movement has impacted identity.

The Portable Island: Cubans at Home in the World gathers writers, poets and artists who tell their stories of defining themselves as Cuban despite their location. Contributors include people who live on the island, those who have returned to live there and individuals who call Paris, Moscow and Puerto Rico home. The wide representation of the Cuban diaspora is a component of the work Behar was proud to demonstrate.

“The Cuban experience is a big mosaic with each person adding something to the vast tapestry,” Behar said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “You could be Cuban plus any other number of things.”

For Behar, she identifies herself as a Cuban Jew. In her recent memoir, An Island Call Home: Returning to Jewish Cuba, she explores the modern day Jewish community on the island and recounts the journey back to her place of birth. Her parents left the island when she was four because of the communist regime. Now immersed in academia, the writer and documentary filmmaker delivers lectures and teaches about ethnography, anthropology and Cuban culture.

Behar and Suárez, along with contributors Richard Blanco and Jose Kozer, poets from Miami and Hallandale Beach, will each speak about their own experiences for the release of The Portable Island. With different perspectives, each will prove that the Cuban experience is not the same for everyone but they all have one thing in common.

“Everybody feels an identity with Cuba,” Behar said.

IF YOU GO

Who: Ruth Behar is an anthropology professor at the University of Michigan and chair of the advisory board of the University of Miami School of Communication Knight Center for International Media. For the Spring 2008 semester and the Spring 2009 semester, Behar holds the University of Miami Henry King Stanford Chair in the Humanities Distinguished Visiting Professor at the College of Arts and Sciences.

What: The release of The Portable Island: Cubans at Home in the World, a compilation edited by Ruth Behar and Lucía M. Suárez.

Where: Books & Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

Coral Gables, FL 33134

When: Feb. 26, 2009

8 to 10 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...