UM students finish one-two at Florida math competition

John Karpis, a senior at the University of Miami, took first place in the integral contest at the Mathematics Association of America’s Florida conference at Florida Gulf Coast University on Feb. 14.

According to Patrick J. Bibby, a math professor and coach, integrals involve skills learned in calculus and require ingenuity and creativity to solve.

Juan Bustos, an 18-year-old sophomore who entered the University of Miami when he was only 16, claimed second place.

“This is just a reflection of our preparation through Dr. Bibby,” said Karpis of the team coach.

Three out of the four students, including Karpis and Bustos, all attended the same high school, Miami Springs Senior High in Miami-Dade County.

This is not the first win or contest for either Karpis or Bibby.

Karpis said he has competed in more than three dozen math contests in high school, as well as competing every year in the annual Putnam Mathematical Competition during his four years at UM.

This is Bibby’s third year coaching students for this specific contest and his third year having one of his students win the first place award.

Bibby said he does not plan on quitting coaching any time soon.

“As long as I have the energy and desire, I’ll keep doing it for years to come,” Bibby said.

Michelle Powers

University of Miami quarterback Malik Rosier is not relinquishing that starting job anytime soon. On ...

The Miami Hurricanes don’t just have a marquee season opener against LSU on their hands on Sept. 2. ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Monday: ▪ Here’s one encouraging development this month: The fre ...

The preseason love continues. The Associated Press unveiled its Top 25 preseason rankings Monday, an ...

The Miami Hurricanes on Monday had their first practice after their second scrimmage Saturday night ...

The University of Miami welcomed more than 2,300 new students to campus as the fall semester got und ...

Intergroup Dialogue, a pilot program that will soon become a UM elective course, promotes honest tal ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami checked in at No. 8 in the preseason Associated Press poll, marking its highest position in th ...

Miami and adidas today revealed their new environmentally-conscious alternate uniforms for the 2018 ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team picked up a victory ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...