Greeks and Hillel partner for good cause

Diana Rubin, a junior. and Amy Levine, a sophmore, have paired up to create an event that brings together UM’s Hillel and their soriority, Zeta Tau Alpha.

“Partnering it up shows how organizations on campus can work together for a good cause,” said Rubin.

For Feb. 27, the theme at Shabbat, which happens every Friday at Hillel, is geared towards raising money for the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation. This money then goes toward Breast Cancer and Education and Awareness.

The Rabbinic Director Robyn Fisher says that every Shabbat has a theme. For this particular themed Shabbat, Rubin and Levine are hoping that people will wear pink and donate $5 to the cause.

Shabbat services at Hillel are at sundown and followed by a dinner. It is open to everyone, not just members of the Jewish community.

“It is affiliated with Jewish culture because of the night it is on, but it is not just for Jews,” said Rubin.

The Greek-Hillel Connection

This is just one of the ways that Hillel has tried to get involved with the Greek community on campus.

Program Director Dan Yagudin has started a program called Jewish Greek Liaisons in an effort to bring Hillel to the Greek community on campus and make both organizations stronger.

Several of the students in Hillel believe that programs, such as this one, has helped to make Hillel friendlier and that Yagudin has really helped to change the environment of Hillel.

“Helping promote awareness about breast cancer is a Jewish value. It is showcasing Jewish values to community,” said Yagudin.

Abigail Garner

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...