Greeks and Hillel partner for good cause

Diana Rubin, a junior. and Amy Levine, a sophmore, have paired up to create an event that brings together UM’s Hillel and their soriority, Zeta Tau Alpha.

“Partnering it up shows how organizations on campus can work together for a good cause,” said Rubin.

For Feb. 27, the theme at Shabbat, which happens every Friday at Hillel, is geared towards raising money for the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation. This money then goes toward Breast Cancer and Education and Awareness.

The Rabbinic Director Robyn Fisher says that every Shabbat has a theme. For this particular themed Shabbat, Rubin and Levine are hoping that people will wear pink and donate $5 to the cause.

Shabbat services at Hillel are at sundown and followed by a dinner. It is open to everyone, not just members of the Jewish community.

“It is affiliated with Jewish culture because of the night it is on, but it is not just for Jews,” said Rubin.

The Greek-Hillel Connection

This is just one of the ways that Hillel has tried to get involved with the Greek community on campus.

Program Director Dan Yagudin has started a program called Jewish Greek Liaisons in an effort to bring Hillel to the Greek community on campus and make both organizations stronger.

Several of the students in Hillel believe that programs, such as this one, has helped to make Hillel friendlier and that Yagudin has really helped to change the environment of Hillel.

“Helping promote awareness about breast cancer is a Jewish value. It is showcasing Jewish values to community,” said Yagudin.

Abigail Garner

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...