Greeks and Hillel partner for good cause

Diana Rubin, a junior. and Amy Levine, a sophmore, have paired up to create an event that brings together UM’s Hillel and their soriority, Zeta Tau Alpha.

“Partnering it up shows how organizations on campus can work together for a good cause,” said Rubin.

For Feb. 27, the theme at Shabbat, which happens every Friday at Hillel, is geared towards raising money for the Zeta Tau Alpha Foundation. This money then goes toward Breast Cancer and Education and Awareness.

The Rabbinic Director Robyn Fisher says that every Shabbat has a theme. For this particular themed Shabbat, Rubin and Levine are hoping that people will wear pink and donate $5 to the cause.

Shabbat services at Hillel are at sundown and followed by a dinner. It is open to everyone, not just members of the Jewish community.

“It is affiliated with Jewish culture because of the night it is on, but it is not just for Jews,” said Rubin.

The Greek-Hillel Connection

This is just one of the ways that Hillel has tried to get involved with the Greek community on campus.

Program Director Dan Yagudin has started a program called Jewish Greek Liaisons in an effort to bring Hillel to the Greek community on campus and make both organizations stronger.

Several of the students in Hillel believe that programs, such as this one, has helped to make Hillel friendlier and that Yagudin has really helped to change the environment of Hillel.

“Helping promote awareness about breast cancer is a Jewish value. It is showcasing Jewish values to community,” said Yagudin.

Abigail Garner

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...