Film about Arab prejudice in media to screen Tuesday

University of Miami students will have the opportunity to see a film that analyzes the stereotypical and degrading images of Arabs in American movies over time and the prejudices they have fueled. The Organization of Arab Students Instituting Solidarity (OASIS) is hosting a screening of the film, Jack Shaheen’s in Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Villifies a People, on Tuesday, Feb. 24 in the I-Lounge at 7 p.m.

“The film had a really powerful message and people don’t really have a good perception of Arabs right now and we felt showing the film would help improve the image,” said Randa Obid, a Syrian-American and the secretary of OASIS.

Some of the members of OASIS have felt and experienced prejudices against Arab people firsthand.

“I understand that every group gets made fun of but I do feel that there are a lot of times where it’s a bit unjust,” said Tony Chamoun, a Lebanese-American and the vice president of OASIS. “And not just in media, for example, if you’re going to the airport and ‘randomly’ get stopped. It happens to my family.”

Members of OASIS have made it a goal to portray to others the Arab culture in a positive light in an effort to change these negative perceptions. OASIS was founded in 1996 as the Arab Friendship Club; it is part of the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO). The organization serves to present information and educate people on the Arab people and culture. It is not a religious group, it is a cultural group that anyone interested in Arab culture can join.

“In the beginning I joined to meet other Arab people,” said Yoldez Meroueh, a Lebanese-American and the president of OASIS. “Then I was realizing that Arabs are really underrepresented so I wanted us to go out and show people what Arabs are really about, and let them know it’s not everything people portray them to be, which is why we’re hosting the screening.”

If You Go:
What: Screening of Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Villifies a People
When: Tuesday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m.
Where: The UC I-Lounge
Cost: Free
Film Length: 50 min.
Food and refreshments will be provided

Pedro Ortiz Meoz

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...