Film about Arab prejudice in media to screen Tuesday

University of Miami students will have the opportunity to see a film that analyzes the stereotypical and degrading images of Arabs in American movies over time and the prejudices they have fueled. The Organization of Arab Students Instituting Solidarity (OASIS) is hosting a screening of the film, Jack Shaheen’s in Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Villifies a People, on Tuesday, Feb. 24 in the I-Lounge at 7 p.m.

“The film had a really powerful message and people don’t really have a good perception of Arabs right now and we felt showing the film would help improve the image,” said Randa Obid, a Syrian-American and the secretary of OASIS.

Some of the members of OASIS have felt and experienced prejudices against Arab people firsthand.

“I understand that every group gets made fun of but I do feel that there are a lot of times where it’s a bit unjust,” said Tony Chamoun, a Lebanese-American and the vice president of OASIS. “And not just in media, for example, if you’re going to the airport and ‘randomly’ get stopped. It happens to my family.”

Members of OASIS have made it a goal to portray to others the Arab culture in a positive light in an effort to change these negative perceptions. OASIS was founded in 1996 as the Arab Friendship Club; it is part of the Council of International Students and Organizations (COISO). The organization serves to present information and educate people on the Arab people and culture. It is not a religious group, it is a cultural group that anyone interested in Arab culture can join.

“In the beginning I joined to meet other Arab people,” said Yoldez Meroueh, a Lebanese-American and the president of OASIS. “Then I was realizing that Arabs are really underrepresented so I wanted us to go out and show people what Arabs are really about, and let them know it’s not everything people portray them to be, which is why we’re hosting the screening.”

If You Go:
What: Screening of Reel Bad Arabs: How Hollywood Villifies a People
When: Tuesday, Feb. 24 at 7 p.m.
Where: The UC I-Lounge
Cost: Free
Film Length: 50 min.
Food and refreshments will be provided

Pedro Ortiz Meoz

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...