Career questions to be addressed at Major and Minor Fair Wednesday

Whether mom and dad are hassling you about switching to pre-law or you’re uncertain about your career path, the Toppel Career Center’s Major and Minor Fair may have answers.

The event will take place in the University of Miami’s UC lower lounge from 1 to 4 p.m Wednesday.  Eight of the university’s nine schools will be present to answer a range of advising and curriculum questions.  The lone exception is the Frost School of Music, which is not participating this year.

“The average college student changes majors three to five times,” said Alicia Rodriguez, associate director for career development at Toppel.

This fair will be especially helpful to students who are either unable to procure appointments with a new school, or who feel intimidated by the whole process of talking to faculty.  Walking up to a table allows a student to cut through all of the red tape and approach a professor who previously seemed aloof.

“I’m not saying it is impossible, but it’s a challenge, to get an appointment,” Rodriguez said.  “This is the easy way to connect with people.”

Even if you are stanchly focused on your major, friendly faculty will pilot you to a minor that might be left unexplored.  Adding a minor makes you marketable to employers in a tough economy, Rodriguez added.  Registration for fall classes begins Jan. 13.

Although banners and flyers touting the event have been stapled to dormitory bulletin boards, many students, especially the underclassmen it caters to, may not have seen the reminders.

“I didn’t know about the fair next week,” Hilary Barr, an undeclared freshman, said. Barr has prior engagements, but adds that she would likely go now that she has heard about it.

“I don’t have a major yet because I was not sure if I wanted to be pre-dental or a business major so I stayed undeclared to be able to take classes in both majors freshman year to decide,” Barr said.

Unlike the other fairs Toppel hosts, the dress code here is casual and nothing is needed expect for you to show up.  Use acumen and come if you are thinking about whom and what you want to be.  There is also a free raffle for gift certificates for the Rat and bookstore.  And free food.

Ben Cathey

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

The global exploration, media, and education company will kick off a national campaign at UM to offe ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...

The University of Miami volleyball team is set to host Clemson and Georgia Tech in the first of four ...

Four members of the Miami women's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Cham ...