Career questions to be addressed at Major and Minor Fair Wednesday

Whether mom and dad are hassling you about switching to pre-law or you’re uncertain about your career path, the Toppel Career Center’s Major and Minor Fair may have answers.

The event will take place in the University of Miami’s UC lower lounge from 1 to 4 p.m Wednesday.  Eight of the university’s nine schools will be present to answer a range of advising and curriculum questions.  The lone exception is the Frost School of Music, which is not participating this year.

“The average college student changes majors three to five times,” said Alicia Rodriguez, associate director for career development at Toppel.

This fair will be especially helpful to students who are either unable to procure appointments with a new school, or who feel intimidated by the whole process of talking to faculty.  Walking up to a table allows a student to cut through all of the red tape and approach a professor who previously seemed aloof.

“I’m not saying it is impossible, but it’s a challenge, to get an appointment,” Rodriguez said.  “This is the easy way to connect with people.”

Even if you are stanchly focused on your major, friendly faculty will pilot you to a minor that might be left unexplored.  Adding a minor makes you marketable to employers in a tough economy, Rodriguez added.  Registration for fall classes begins Jan. 13.

Although banners and flyers touting the event have been stapled to dormitory bulletin boards, many students, especially the underclassmen it caters to, may not have seen the reminders.

“I didn’t know about the fair next week,” Hilary Barr, an undeclared freshman, said. Barr has prior engagements, but adds that she would likely go now that she has heard about it.

“I don’t have a major yet because I was not sure if I wanted to be pre-dental or a business major so I stayed undeclared to be able to take classes in both majors freshman year to decide,” Barr said.

Unlike the other fairs Toppel hosts, the dress code here is casual and nothing is needed expect for you to show up.  Use acumen and come if you are thinking about whom and what you want to be.  There is also a free raffle for gift certificates for the Rat and bookstore.  And free food.

Ben Cathey

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...