Sports Briefs

SWIMMING/DIVING

Junior diver Reuben Ross won both the one-meter and three-meter diving events and finished second in the 10-meter platform this weekend at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships at the Eppley Recreation Center Natatorium in College Park, Md.

In the women’s competition, senior Jenna Dreyer took second place in the three-meter event with a 382.80, behind Duke freshman Abby Johnston’s 414.45.

Junior Brittany Viola’s quest for consecutive sweeps at ACC’s was denied as she finished third. She did win the one-meter springboard and 10-meter platform to defend her crown in those events.

As a team, UM finished eighth and swimmers notched NCAA “B” cut times in the 200 breaststroke by senior Britta Boesing and the 400 and 800 freestyle relay teams.

Freshman Dana Hatic marked a qualifying time in the 100-meter breaststroke and sophomore Annika Saarnak matched one in the 200-meter freestyle.

VOLLEYBALL

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was one of 30 volleyball players named to the 2008 All-ACC Academic Volleyball Team on Friday by ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford.

On the year, the business major averaged 3.59 digs per set and tallied a team-leading 16 double-doubles. She also led the Hurricanes in kills (369), service aces (35) and points (433).

To be eligible for consideration, a student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during her academic career.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...