Sports Briefs

SWIMMING/DIVING

Junior diver Reuben Ross won both the one-meter and three-meter diving events and finished second in the 10-meter platform this weekend at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships at the Eppley Recreation Center Natatorium in College Park, Md.

In the women’s competition, senior Jenna Dreyer took second place in the three-meter event with a 382.80, behind Duke freshman Abby Johnston’s 414.45.

Junior Brittany Viola’s quest for consecutive sweeps at ACC’s was denied as she finished third. She did win the one-meter springboard and 10-meter platform to defend her crown in those events.

As a team, UM finished eighth and swimmers notched NCAA “B” cut times in the 200 breaststroke by senior Britta Boesing and the 400 and 800 freestyle relay teams.

Freshman Dana Hatic marked a qualifying time in the 100-meter breaststroke and sophomore Annika Saarnak matched one in the 200-meter freestyle.

VOLLEYBALL

Freshman outside hitter Lane Carico was one of 30 volleyball players named to the 2008 All-ACC Academic Volleyball Team on Friday by ACC Commissioner John D. Swofford.

On the year, the business major averaged 3.59 digs per set and tallied a team-leading 16 double-doubles. She also led the Hurricanes in kills (369), service aces (35) and points (433).

To be eligible for consideration, a student-athlete must have earned a 3.00 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.00 cumulative average during her academic career.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...