Shalala: I have no plans to leave

President Donna E. Shalala

President Donna E. Shalala

Despite persistent rumors that University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala plans to leave the school for a position in the administration of President Barack Obama, she maintains that she is fully commited to UM long-term.

“I have absolutely no plans on leaving,” Shalala told The Miami Hurricane when asked if she thought about leaving or retiring during the next one to two years, the amount of time Shalala has said it might take for UM to recover from the effects of the current economic crisis. “Of course, I serve at the pleasure of the Board of Trustees, but I have no desire to leave.”

Shalala came to the school in 2001, following the 20-year tenure of Edward T. “Tad” Foote. Before that, she served eight years as President Bill Clinton’s secretary of Health and Human Services. Only one former president, Jay F. W. Pearson, served fewer than 19 years in the role.

There had been rumors published in the Miami Herald and elsewhere that she would return to her old cabinet post when Obama was elected, and once again when former nominee Tom Daschle was forced to withdraw following tax issues.

Matthew Bunch

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.