RSMAS Beat Notebook: Feb. 23

In commemoration of the 200th birthday of the father of modern evolutionary theory, Charles Darwin: Live and in Concert played at the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science last Monday afternoon. The one-man musical was filled with original songs, science and madness. This event was free and opened to the public.

David Thoreson, explorer and Blue Water Studios photographer and filmmaker, came to RSMAS Wednesday afternoon to speak as part of the 2009 Sea Secrets Lecture Series. Thoreson gave his perspective on polar exploration through his stunning pictures and accounts of adventure. He also shared his knowledge on how climate change is shining new light on this region. The lecture, which took place at 6 p.m., was free and opened to the public.

The Office of Naval Research (ONR) recently awarded a $3.75 million grant to support satellite-based research studies on internal waves and typhoons in the Western Pacific Ocean. Administered over a period of three years, the ONR grant will help fund greater utilization of satellite data in a variety of projects, including one in Southeast Asia conducted by scientists from RSMAS in collaboration with Taiwanese universities that will take a better look at typhoon patterns.

Research funded by multiple agencies and conducted by RSMAS along with the university’s Miller School of Medicine found that swimmers using public ocean beaches increase their risk for exposure to staph organisms (including likelihood of staph infections) once they enter the water. The research team recommends taking precautions to reduce the risk of infection by showering thoroughly before entering the water and after getting out. More research is needed to understand how long staph can live in coastal waters and the infection rate associated with the beach exposures.

Analisa Harangozo

Staff News Writer

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

Keith Stone had a bevy of options to pick from when deciding where to spend his final year as a coll ...

University of Miami junior cornerback Trajan Bandy was named ACC Defensive Back of the Week after a ...

Shannon McCarthy and BIIK Kazygurt are set to face off against FC Bayern Munich in the UEFA Champion ...

The Hurricanes got a much-needed conference win Friday night over Virginia. Now Miami looks to build ...

Kristina Fisher registers her 17th career assist to move into second on the program's all-time ...