Tennis

Hurricanes split weekend matches

After conquering the consolation bracket at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships, the University of Miami women’s tennis team split weekend matches in the state of Texas.

The 10th-ranked Hurricanes bounced back from a loss to seventh-ranked Baylor by defeating No. 21 Texas Christian, 6-1, on Sunday.

Despite losing the doubles point, Miami took all six singles matches against the Horned Frogs (4-3).

Sophomore Julia Cohen, ranked 20th, upset No. 6 Nina Munch-Soegaard, 3-6, 6-1, 6-1. No. 34 junior Laura Vallverdu and No. 51 sophomore Bianca Eichkorn each battled in three-set matches to victories.

On Saturday, the Hurricanes and the Bears (4-2) had to play 90 minutes away at Ennis Indoor Courts in Ennis, Texas due to severe winds in the Waco area.

Baylor won 4-2.

Despite Vallverdu and Cohen’s 9-7 upset over the seventh-ranked duo of Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi, the Canes lost the doubles point in a close 9-8 (7-5) defeat in the third slot featuring Eichkorn and freshman Gabriela Mejia.

Cohen and Eichkorn both won the only singles matches for UM.

No. 60 sophomore Michaela Kissell lost her first singles match of the spring season to No. 40 Jelena Stanivuk, 3-6, 7-5, 6-7 (5-7), for the deciding point in the match.

Miami (9-2) hosts No. 18 Michigan (5-2) at 2 p.m. Thursday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...