Tennis

Gators down Canes, win 5-2

After a two-week hiatus and three straight victories, No. 24 Miami fell 5-2 to seventh-ranked Florida (7-3) on Sunday afternoon at Linder Stadium at Ring Tennis Complex in Gainesville.

Senior Daniel Vallverdu returned to the court for the first time since suffering a pectoral strain at the ITA National Indoor Championships in November, but he and sophomore Carl Sundberg lost in doubles, 8-2.

The other two Hurricane tandems lost close 9-7 affairs to start at a 1-0 disadvantage.

No. 78 Sundberg came back after losing the first set to win 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5) and junior transfer David Simon held on to upset No. 64 Joey Burkhardt 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (10-6) in Miami’s only two wins in singles play.

Sundberg improved to 6-0 on the season.

“Carl and David were able to get important wins that will only build their confidence,” head coach Mario Rincon said.

Freshman Ignacio Taboada lost his first singles match of the season, 6-4, 6-2, to No. 94 Antoine Benneteau, and the other three matches were settled in straight-sets.

“UF was ready for us today and they deserve all the credit,” Rincon said. “But we have identified things that we need to do better as a team that will give us a chance against the best teams in the country. We will continue to work hard and improve.”

Miami (4-3) returns to action to face No. 16 Florida State (10-4) at 1 p.m. next Saturday at the Scott Speicher Tennis Center in Tallahassee.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...