Def Jam’s Electrik Red ready to make an impact

elektrikred
Elektrik Red, a new group from Def Jam records

Under the legendary record label Def Jam, Electrik Red brings an edgy brand of R&B and hip-hop that exemplifies the future sound of music. Hailing from New York City and Canada, the all-girl group Electrik Red comprises Naomi, Sarah, Lesley and Binkie. Their debut album How To Be a Lady Vol. 1 drops March 24.

THE MIAMI HURRICANE: What got you ladies into music?

Lesley: We were born interested in music. We grew up enjoying music. We wanted to become entertainers.

Binkie: Amongst others things, of course, we wanted to be entertainers. It started in the household when we were young, finding out who you are. Our parents notarized our talents. So good for us they support our arts.

Sarah: We all went to performing arts school where we studied drama, dance and music.

Binkie: People have this misconception that things happen over night. It’s like they do, but to get to where we are today it took us a long, steady drill, drill, drill, but now that we’re here it feels like its happening overnight.

TMH: What sets you ladies apart from other female groups like Danity Kane and Destiny’s Child?

Naomi: We all have had careers in this industry first. We’ve all been on stage before, been in videos before, done certain things that maybe other girl groups haven’t done before.

Sarah: We all have been friends before we decided to do this and be together. This isn’t something someone else auditioned or put together.

Binkie:  The three groups – Destiny’s Child, Pussycat Dolls and us, the three of us could sing the same song but it would be different with the energy that each of those groups puts out there. It’s just different. Ours is in your face. It’s just who we are naturally. What we did was turn our personalities into music. We couldn’t do this with another four girls because everybody is an individual.

Naomi: I think that every time a girl group comes out, they make the way for another group of girls to try and do something else.

Binkie: Our agency called us to audition for the Pussycat Dolls but we were already a group. Everybody has their own way.

TMH: How did you ladies come up with the name Electrik Red?

Binkie: I came up with it. I wanted something that was really catchy but powerful. Red is such a strong color. It’s passion, determination, bold.

TMH: What made you ladies come together as a group opposed to pursuing individual careers?

Lesley: About five years we decide to become a group but we still had careers as dancers and performing for other artists. So this was always the main goal because we had to pay our bills. It took time to get here.

Naomi: I think I can speak for everyone to say that what motivates us everyday is just the art. You get up and see what else you can do. See how better you can do this. There is no sort of limits, sky is the limit. Whatever we can do, we want to do it the utmost.

TMH: How has your life been different since being under Def Jam?

Lesley: We’re rock stars [laughs]. It feels like it in our own mind. We have minimal hours of sleep.

Sarah: I don’t know if it’s different but it’s a whole movement behind us. A team, a community that is supportive of us and excited about us.

Lesley: The best part is seeing people that know your songs. Just to know you are reaching people and there is a fan base out there.

TMH: Talk about your single out and album How To Be a Lady.

Naomi: Our current single is called “So Good.” I think the idea of this song is that the message is risqué. It is really fun, kind of urban, poppy, kind of upbeat song that you can groove to. We like it.

Sarah: We will have a real feel-good record.

Binkie: We got the album done in two weeks. We didn’t see the sun. We went from room to room. We didn’t leave. We were that motivated.

Naomi: On our album, there are so many different kinds of songs. Every one is so different.

Sarah: Quite honestly, we have an album full of singles. It’s a really strong radio record, hopefully.

Binkie: We are married to this game. [Our album] is something to ride to.