Basketball

Canes fall one point short, lose to Noles

COURTESY FSView

The heartbreaks continue to accumulate for the University of Miami women’s basketball team as it was defeated by No. 11 Florida State, 59-58, on Sunday afternoon at the Tucker Center.

Miami led the entire game until the final 20 seconds.

With the game tied at 57, FSU senior guard Tanae Davis-Cain was fouled by junior forward Diane Barnes while driving to the basket with eight seconds left. Davis-Cain, who finished with 15 points, hit both free throws to give the Seminoles a two-point lead.

Freshman forward Shenise Johnson had a chance to tie the game to send it into overtime but missed the second of two free throws. She caught her own rebound and was unable to hit the jumper as time expired.

Johnson finished with eight points, 10 rebounds and five assists. Senior guard LaToya Cunningham carried the Canes with 20 points in 37 minutes of action.

Everything was going Miami’s way in the first half. The Hurricanes (13-14, 2-10) had a 33-19 lead and were shooting 42 percent from the floor. Florida State (23-5, 11-1), on the other hand, struggled by making just five baskets on a 19 percent fielding-percentage.

The Noles turned it on in the second half when they opened on a 24-11 run with 8:20 remaining.

A costly turnover changed the entire game.

With the opportunity to take the last shot of the game, Johnson turned the ball over, which led to Davis-Cain’s free throws to seal the victory.

If the Hurricanes had been able to finish, it would have capped their first signature win of the season.

Miami travels to Chapel Hill, N.C. on Thursday evening to take on 10th-ranked North Carolina (22-4).

Lelan LeDoux

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...