UM hires former commerce secretary for Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies

CARLOS GUTIERREZ
CARLOS GUTIERREZ

It appears the University of Miami has doubled its number of former cabinet members on staff.

Former Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez, who served under President George W. Bush from 2005-2008, has been hired as a non-resident scholar at UM’s Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS).

Gutierrez will join the ICCAS’s Cuba Business Roundtable, which recruits and assists businesses who wish to do business on the island if and when the current embargo is lifted and the Castro government falls. He will be based in Washington, D.C.

“Secretary Gutierrez is a highly successful captain of industry,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Friday. “His experience in government and his extensive knowledge of global business challenges will enhance ICCAS’s resources and help in developing important partnerships.”

Before joining the Bush cabinet, Guiterrez was a long-time employee of Kellogg’s, rising from a sales representative in 1975 to chief executive officer at the time of his resignation in 2005.

He has a wife, Edilia; a son, Carlos Jr.; and two daughters, Erika and Karina, who graduated from UM in 2008.