UM hires former commerce secretary for Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies

CARLOS GUTIERREZ

CARLOS GUTIERREZ

It appears the University of Miami has doubled its number of former cabinet members on staff.

Former Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez, who served under President George W. Bush from 2005-2008, has been hired as a non-resident scholar at UM’s Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS).

Gutierrez will join the ICCAS’s Cuba Business Roundtable, which recruits and assists businesses who wish to do business on the island if and when the current embargo is lifted and the Castro government falls. He will be based in Washington, D.C.

“Secretary Gutierrez is a highly successful captain of industry,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Friday. “His experience in government and his extensive knowledge of global business challenges will enhance ICCAS’s resources and help in developing important partnerships.”

Before joining the Bush cabinet, Guiterrez was a long-time employee of Kellogg’s, rising from a sales representative in 1975 to chief executive officer at the time of his resignation in 2005.

He has a wife, Edilia; a son, Carlos Jr.; and two daughters, Erika and Karina, who graduated from UM in 2008.

Matthew Bunch

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

The Miami Hurricanes are usually off on Mondays. But today, the Canes (5-2, 2-1 Atlantic Coast Confe ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...