UM hires former commerce secretary for Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies

CARLOS GUTIERREZ

CARLOS GUTIERREZ

It appears the University of Miami has doubled its number of former cabinet members on staff.

Former Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez, who served under President George W. Bush from 2005-2008, has been hired as a non-resident scholar at UM’s Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS).

Gutierrez will join the ICCAS’s Cuba Business Roundtable, which recruits and assists businesses who wish to do business on the island if and when the current embargo is lifted and the Castro government falls. He will be based in Washington, D.C.

“Secretary Gutierrez is a highly successful captain of industry,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Friday. “His experience in government and his extensive knowledge of global business challenges will enhance ICCAS’s resources and help in developing important partnerships.”

Before joining the Bush cabinet, Guiterrez was a long-time employee of Kellogg’s, rising from a sales representative in 1975 to chief executive officer at the time of his resignation in 2005.

He has a wife, Edilia; a son, Carlos Jr.; and two daughters, Erika and Karina, who graduated from UM in 2008.

Matthew Bunch

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...