UM hires former commerce secretary for Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies

CARLOS GUTIERREZ

CARLOS GUTIERREZ

It appears the University of Miami has doubled its number of former cabinet members on staff.

Former Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez, who served under President George W. Bush from 2005-2008, has been hired as a non-resident scholar at UM’s Institute for Cuban and Cuban American Studies (ICCAS).

Gutierrez will join the ICCAS’s Cuba Business Roundtable, which recruits and assists businesses who wish to do business on the island if and when the current embargo is lifted and the Castro government falls. He will be based in Washington, D.C.

“Secretary Gutierrez is a highly successful captain of industry,” UM President Donna E. Shalala said in a statement Friday. “His experience in government and his extensive knowledge of global business challenges will enhance ICCAS’s resources and help in developing important partnerships.”

Before joining the Bush cabinet, Guiterrez was a long-time employee of Kellogg’s, rising from a sales representative in 1975 to chief executive officer at the time of his resignation in 2005.

He has a wife, Edilia; a son, Carlos Jr.; and two daughters, Erika and Karina, who graduated from UM in 2008.

Matthew Bunch

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...