Law students attend Multicultural Admissions Fair, discuss future plans

Dinner plans with a significant other was not the only thing prospective law students were planning for Valentine’s Day.

Some went to the Multicultural Admissions Fair that was held on Feb. 14 at the University of Miami as a part of National Minority Law School Recruitment Month.

Although the exact numbers have not been tallied yet, there was a larger turnout than last year, according to Jael De Spain, assistant director of Student Recruiting.

Administrators and current students discussed some topics such as the application process, financial aid, scholarship programs and careers in law.

“It was a chance for me to get some questions answered by people who have gone through this process already,” said Pamela Fuertes. Fuertes, 23, is a graduate of UM’s School of Communication and might apply for law school.

“Even though this admissions fair was multicultural I felt like a minority within minorities,” she said.

Ed Brown, a foreign student from Uruguay, felt a little differently.

“I thought I was going to be overwhelmed with information, but seeing other students in my shoes made me feel better,” he said.

This annual event occurs through grants given by the federal government to try and aid those minorities who would not be able to afford law school otherwise. A variety of opportunities to meet students and administration will go on through the end of February.

Quick Stats

Hispanic Business Magazine chose the University of Miami School of Law as one of the top 10 U.S. law schools for Hispanics. Currently, 25 percent of law students are minorities.

Furthermore, nearly two-thirds of the school’s students come from outside the state and nearly half of them speak more than one language.

Diana Escobar

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...