Law students attend Multicultural Admissions Fair, discuss future plans

Dinner plans with a significant other was not the only thing prospective law students were planning for Valentine’s Day.

Some went to the Multicultural Admissions Fair that was held on Feb. 14 at the University of Miami as a part of National Minority Law School Recruitment Month.

Although the exact numbers have not been tallied yet, there was a larger turnout than last year, according to Jael De Spain, assistant director of Student Recruiting.

Administrators and current students discussed some topics such as the application process, financial aid, scholarship programs and careers in law.

“It was a chance for me to get some questions answered by people who have gone through this process already,” said Pamela Fuertes. Fuertes, 23, is a graduate of UM’s School of Communication and might apply for law school.

“Even though this admissions fair was multicultural I felt like a minority within minorities,” she said.

Ed Brown, a foreign student from Uruguay, felt a little differently.

“I thought I was going to be overwhelmed with information, but seeing other students in my shoes made me feel better,” he said.

This annual event occurs through grants given by the federal government to try and aid those minorities who would not be able to afford law school otherwise. A variety of opportunities to meet students and administration will go on through the end of February.

Quick Stats

Hispanic Business Magazine chose the University of Miami School of Law as one of the top 10 U.S. law schools for Hispanics. Currently, 25 percent of law students are minorities.

Furthermore, nearly two-thirds of the school’s students come from outside the state and nearly half of them speak more than one language.

Diana Escobar

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...