Law students attend Multicultural Admissions Fair, discuss future plans

Dinner plans with a significant other was not the only thing prospective law students were planning for Valentine’s Day.

Some went to the Multicultural Admissions Fair that was held on Feb. 14 at the University of Miami as a part of National Minority Law School Recruitment Month.

Although the exact numbers have not been tallied yet, there was a larger turnout than last year, according to Jael De Spain, assistant director of Student Recruiting.

Administrators and current students discussed some topics such as the application process, financial aid, scholarship programs and careers in law.

“It was a chance for me to get some questions answered by people who have gone through this process already,” said Pamela Fuertes. Fuertes, 23, is a graduate of UM’s School of Communication and might apply for law school.

“Even though this admissions fair was multicultural I felt like a minority within minorities,” she said.

Ed Brown, a foreign student from Uruguay, felt a little differently.

“I thought I was going to be overwhelmed with information, but seeing other students in my shoes made me feel better,” he said.

This annual event occurs through grants given by the federal government to try and aid those minorities who would not be able to afford law school otherwise. A variety of opportunities to meet students and administration will go on through the end of February.

Quick Stats

Hispanic Business Magazine chose the University of Miami School of Law as one of the top 10 U.S. law schools for Hispanics. Currently, 25 percent of law students are minorities.

Furthermore, nearly two-thirds of the school’s students come from outside the state and nearly half of them speak more than one language.

Diana Escobar

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...