Law students attend Multicultural Admissions Fair, discuss future plans

Dinner plans with a significant other was not the only thing prospective law students were planning for Valentine’s Day.

Some went to the Multicultural Admissions Fair that was held on Feb. 14 at the University of Miami as a part of National Minority Law School Recruitment Month.

Although the exact numbers have not been tallied yet, there was a larger turnout than last year, according to Jael De Spain, assistant director of Student Recruiting.

Administrators and current students discussed some topics such as the application process, financial aid, scholarship programs and careers in law.

“It was a chance for me to get some questions answered by people who have gone through this process already,” said Pamela Fuertes. Fuertes, 23, is a graduate of UM’s School of Communication and might apply for law school.

“Even though this admissions fair was multicultural I felt like a minority within minorities,” she said.

Ed Brown, a foreign student from Uruguay, felt a little differently.

“I thought I was going to be overwhelmed with information, but seeing other students in my shoes made me feel better,” he said.

This annual event occurs through grants given by the federal government to try and aid those minorities who would not be able to afford law school otherwise. A variety of opportunities to meet students and administration will go on through the end of February.

Quick Stats

Hispanic Business Magazine chose the University of Miami School of Law as one of the top 10 U.S. law schools for Hispanics. Currently, 25 percent of law students are minorities.

Furthermore, nearly two-thirds of the school’s students come from outside the state and nearly half of them speak more than one language.

Diana Escobar

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

UM women's soccer blows past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...