Sports Briefs

GOLF

The University of Miami golf team finished eighth at the Qdoba Invitational at Don Shula’s Golf Resort in Miami Lakes, Fla., on Tuesday.

Sophomore Maria Ronderos shot an even-par 72 in the final round, one of the lowest in the tournament, to tie for 16th. Her three-round total was 72, a season-low. Fellow sophomore Christina Hirano posted the second-best Hurricane score with a five-over par 77 and a total of 230 for 22nd.

Georgia State took the team title with a 27-over par 891, while the Canes finished with a 67-over par 931.

Miami heads to the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina this weekend.

FOOTBALL

Senior center Xavier Shannon, freshman defensive back Brandon Harris and freshman receiver Laron Byrd were named to 2008 All-ACC Academic football team.

Shannon was one of only two players to start every game this past season, while Harris finished with 30 tackles and an interception. Byrd caught 21 passes for 288 yards and four touchdowns, including the game-tying TD against Virginia.

To be eligible for consideration, a player must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.0 cumulative average during his academic career.

TRACK/FIELD

For the third time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week, this time for her performance at the Texas A&M Invitational this past weekend.

Ahoure holds the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter dash at 7.17 seconds after breaking Lauyrn Williams’ record. In the 200-meter event, she won with a time of 23.14, which is also the fastest time in the world. She has won all five of her individual sprints this season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...