Sports Briefs

GOLF

The University of Miami golf team finished eighth at the Qdoba Invitational at Don Shula’s Golf Resort in Miami Lakes, Fla., on Tuesday.

Sophomore Maria Ronderos shot an even-par 72 in the final round, one of the lowest in the tournament, to tie for 16th. Her three-round total was 72, a season-low. Fellow sophomore Christina Hirano posted the second-best Hurricane score with a five-over par 77 and a total of 230 for 22nd.

Georgia State took the team title with a 27-over par 891, while the Canes finished with a 67-over par 931.

Miami heads to the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina this weekend.

FOOTBALL

Senior center Xavier Shannon, freshman defensive back Brandon Harris and freshman receiver Laron Byrd were named to 2008 All-ACC Academic football team.

Shannon was one of only two players to start every game this past season, while Harris finished with 30 tackles and an interception. Byrd caught 21 passes for 288 yards and four touchdowns, including the game-tying TD against Virginia.

To be eligible for consideration, a player must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.0 cumulative average during his academic career.

TRACK/FIELD

For the third time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week, this time for her performance at the Texas A&M Invitational this past weekend.

Ahoure holds the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter dash at 7.17 seconds after breaking Lauyrn Williams’ record. In the 200-meter event, she won with a time of 23.14, which is also the fastest time in the world. She has won all five of her individual sprints this season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...