Sports Briefs

GOLF

The University of Miami golf team finished eighth at the Qdoba Invitational at Don Shula’s Golf Resort in Miami Lakes, Fla., on Tuesday.

Sophomore Maria Ronderos shot an even-par 72 in the final round, one of the lowest in the tournament, to tie for 16th. Her three-round total was 72, a season-low. Fellow sophomore Christina Hirano posted the second-best Hurricane score with a five-over par 77 and a total of 230 for 22nd.

Georgia State took the team title with a 27-over par 891, while the Canes finished with a 67-over par 931.

Miami heads to the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina this weekend.

FOOTBALL

Senior center Xavier Shannon, freshman defensive back Brandon Harris and freshman receiver Laron Byrd were named to 2008 All-ACC Academic football team.

Shannon was one of only two players to start every game this past season, while Harris finished with 30 tackles and an interception. Byrd caught 21 passes for 288 yards and four touchdowns, including the game-tying TD against Virginia.

To be eligible for consideration, a player must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.0 cumulative average during his academic career.

TRACK/FIELD

For the third time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week, this time for her performance at the Texas A&M Invitational this past weekend.

Ahoure holds the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter dash at 7.17 seconds after breaking Lauyrn Williams’ record. In the 200-meter event, she won with a time of 23.14, which is also the fastest time in the world. She has won all five of her individual sprints this season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...