Sports Briefs

GOLF

The University of Miami golf team finished eighth at the Qdoba Invitational at Don Shula’s Golf Resort in Miami Lakes, Fla., on Tuesday.

Sophomore Maria Ronderos shot an even-par 72 in the final round, one of the lowest in the tournament, to tie for 16th. Her three-round total was 72, a season-low. Fellow sophomore Christina Hirano posted the second-best Hurricane score with a five-over par 77 and a total of 230 for 22nd.

Georgia State took the team title with a 27-over par 891, while the Canes finished with a 67-over par 931.

Miami heads to the Edwin Watts/Kiawah Island Classic in South Carolina this weekend.

FOOTBALL

Senior center Xavier Shannon, freshman defensive back Brandon Harris and freshman receiver Laron Byrd were named to 2008 All-ACC Academic football team.

Shannon was one of only two players to start every game this past season, while Harris finished with 30 tackles and an interception. Byrd caught 21 passes for 288 yards and four touchdowns, including the game-tying TD against Virginia.

To be eligible for consideration, a player must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and maintained a 3.0 cumulative average during his academic career.

TRACK/FIELD

For the third time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week, this time for her performance at the Texas A&M Invitational this past weekend.

Ahoure holds the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter dash at 7.17 seconds after breaking Lauyrn Williams’ record. In the 200-meter event, she won with a time of 23.14, which is also the fastest time in the world. She has won all five of her individual sprints this season.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

As has been the case all season, the Miami women's tennis team is top-20 in the Oracle/ITA nati ...