SG presidency already ‘one’: unique situation leaves Moise running unopposed

This year’s Student Government presidential race may be over before it even begins.

This election year, no longer will students walking through the UC Breezeway be bombarded by numerous political campaigners running for SG president, vice-president and treasurer. This year there will only be one political team handing out flyers and preaching to get your vote.

Junior Lionel Moise is running for president of Student Government unopposed. For the first time in at least a decade, a candidate will run for the most prestigious seat in office without any competition.

“It’s the first time in a long time, and I know the first time in the 12 years I have been here,” said Patricia A. Whitely, the vice president for Student Affairs.

“I still have to get 50 percent of the vote in order to win,” Moise said. “Students can always write in any candidate they want. What is most important for me, no matter what, is to have the respect and support of the students here at Miami.”

Current student body president Brandon Gross, a senior, is confused as to why more people are not willing to take the reins to this university.

“I’m disappointed,” said Gross, who won in a runoff last year. “Not in [Moise], but we were able to get a lot of things done this year. You would think more people would see that and step up…Competition is always good. It forces you to keep your word and keep fighting.”

Moise still plans on campaigning before the election.

Justin Antweil

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...