Baseball

Revamped outfield still up for grabs

One of the biggest questions this year is in the outfield: how can Miami possibly replace a combined 27 home runs, 34 stolen bases, 123 RBIs and an on-base percentage over .400 from MLB draftees Dennis Raben, Blake Tekotte and Adan Severino?

Replacing Raben in right field will be senior Dave DiNatale, who has a flair for the dramatic. Last season he had six game-winning hits and was named the ACC tournament’s Most Valuable Player en route to UM’s first ACC title. However, DiNatale did lead the team in strikeouts. He has been hurt most of this month when he pulled his lat muscle lifting weights, but he says he is 100 percent now.

Florida Christian standout Nathan Melendres, a freshman, will take the reins in center field. Other than Ryan Jackson, he had the best fall practice. Melendres has played infield his whole life and must make the transition to outfield.

“I have been working with [assistant coach]Ray Fuentes,” Melendres said of the adjustment. “Playing center field will get me a lot faster, so that is going to help me. I have talked to Blake Tekotte and he has told me to just relax and play my game just like in practice.”

According to head coach Jim Morris, it will be a coin toss as to who will get the most playing time in left. Look for senior Jonathon Weislow to see some action there. Weislow was predominantly a pinch runner last year. If freshman Harold Martinez is not the designated hitter, he could play left. Junior Jason Hagerty and senior utility man Ryan Perry are also in the mix. In just 11 ACC games last season, Perry compiled a .364 batting average and seven RBI.

Justin Antweil

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...