Producer’s debut album lacks vocal prowess

In today’s music climate it seems as though songwriters and producers behind the scenes are stepping into the limelight at a rate never before seen. Continuing this trend of moving from studio to stage is Ryan Leslie. Leslie, known for crafting R&B gems for his protégé Cassie (“Me & You”, “Long Way to Go”) enters the R&B scene with his self-titled debut, Ryan Leslie.

Leslie’s debut is very much a producer’s record; it displays his musical prowess at the expense of his voice. The sonic landscape crafted by Leslie is the real standout rather than his whispering falsetto. The ’80s influenced synth-based funk – Leslie owes a heavy debt to Prince – displayed is amazing. But Leslie’s mastery comes at a price in that the production often makes Leslie’s vocals an afterthought. However, fans can take solace in knowing that this is the only weakness of the album. The album is paced quite nicely throughout and has a definite cohesion, making it a rarity in today’s market dominated by singles. “Diamond Girl” and “Just Right” are examples of the 1980s bounce that define Leslie as a producer. Leslie’s debut is a definite standout in today’s R&B landscape. However, don’t expect Leslie to amaze with his voice.

Rating: 3 out of 4 stars

Grant Roberson

Contributing EDGE Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...