Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: UM students should participate in ‘Earth Hour’

From melting glaciers to dramatic weather patterns, climate change is already impacting life on Earth. On March 28, 2009, at 8:30 p.m., tens of millions of people will demonstrate concern for our planet by turning out their lights for one hour. Earth Hour reminds us that we all have a role to play in fighting climate change. I urge the University of Miami community to take part and support Earth Hour, which is being led by the World Wildlife Fund. More than 50 million people participated in 2008, as lights went dark at the Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney’s Opera House. Even Google went dark. Earth Hour 2009 will be even bigger with more than 240 cities and hundreds of college campuses participating. This is a critical moment for our planet. Through Earth Hour we can collectively raise our voices and demand that our elected leaders join with the global community to find solutions to this urgent problem. Earth Hour is free. Visit www.EarthHourUS.org to learn more. On March 28 at 8:30, let’s all turn out for Earth Hour and for the future of our planet.

– Alexandra Wright
Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The University of Miami women's swimming team put together 14 lifetime bests Saturday at its an ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

Despite earning the doubles point, the No. 15 Miami women's tennis team dropped a 5-2 decision ...