Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: UM students should participate in ‘Earth Hour’

From melting glaciers to dramatic weather patterns, climate change is already impacting life on Earth. On March 28, 2009, at 8:30 p.m., tens of millions of people will demonstrate concern for our planet by turning out their lights for one hour. Earth Hour reminds us that we all have a role to play in fighting climate change. I urge the University of Miami community to take part and support Earth Hour, which is being led by the World Wildlife Fund. More than 50 million people participated in 2008, as lights went dark at the Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney’s Opera House. Even Google went dark. Earth Hour 2009 will be even bigger with more than 240 cities and hundreds of college campuses participating. This is a critical moment for our planet. Through Earth Hour we can collectively raise our voices and demand that our elected leaders join with the global community to find solutions to this urgent problem. Earth Hour is free. Visit www.EarthHourUS.org to learn more. On March 28 at 8:30, let’s all turn out for Earth Hour and for the future of our planet.

– Alexandra Wright
Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...