Letters to the Editor

Letter to the editor: UM students should participate in ‘Earth Hour’

From melting glaciers to dramatic weather patterns, climate change is already impacting life on Earth. On March 28, 2009, at 8:30 p.m., tens of millions of people will demonstrate concern for our planet by turning out their lights for one hour. Earth Hour reminds us that we all have a role to play in fighting climate change. I urge the University of Miami community to take part and support Earth Hour, which is being led by the World Wildlife Fund. More than 50 million people participated in 2008, as lights went dark at the Empire State Building, Golden Gate Bridge and Sydney’s Opera House. Even Google went dark. Earth Hour 2009 will be even bigger with more than 240 cities and hundreds of college campuses participating. This is a critical moment for our planet. Through Earth Hour we can collectively raise our voices and demand that our elected leaders join with the global community to find solutions to this urgent problem. Earth Hour is free. Visit www.EarthHourUS.org to learn more. On March 28 at 8:30, let’s all turn out for Earth Hour and for the future of our planet.

– Alexandra Wright
Senior

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...