Basketball

Commentary: McClinton is one of nation’s elite players

I don’t care about Davidson junior guard Stephen Curry. I don’t care about Kentucky junior guard Jodie Meeks. I don’t even care for Wake Forest sophomore guard Jeff Teague. All I care about is Miami senior guard Jack McClinton.

McClinton is one of the elite college basketball players in the nation, hands down. Before Wednesday night’s game against Florida State, he was averaging 20.3 points per game and led the ACC, arguably the premier basketball conference in the nation, in every 3-point category.

The Baltimore, Md., native should be nominated for the John R. Wooden award in March, which honors the most “Outstanding College Basketball Player in the United States” based on his performance in the regular season, conference tournament and postseason, as well as his character.

Last season, North Carolina senior forward Tyler Hansbrough took home the award.

If No. 33 is not even a candidate, clearly the 1,000 voters – composed of sports media members and college basketball experts from across the nation – don’t respect him.

“I think if he played at a higher profile place, he would be a first or second team All-American,” ESPN analyst Jay Bilas said before the season started.

McClinton is drastically underrated.

When you YouTube his name, only one highlight pops up, and it’s from a 19-point loss to Clemson. However, you can find every shot Curry nails and every rebound Hansbrough grabs.

You don’t come across his first 30-point game against Northwestern his sophomore year. You don’t see how he guided the Hurricanes in last season’s big games against Mississippi State, the Tigers, Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Duke, Virginia, St. Mary and Texas. So far this year, he has gone to work on Connecticut, Ohio State, Kentucky, Maryland, Wake Forest, the Blue Devils, Seminoles and Tar Heels.

You don’t see any of it.

McCinton’s heart has guided him so far in life and that’s why he had it tattooed during the offseason.

After McClinton scored 32 points in a win over the Demon Deacons, head coach Dino Gaudio called it “one of the best performances [he’s seen] in the eight years [he has]been in the ACC.”

After McClinton scored Miami’s last 18 points, finishing with 34 points including the game-tying deep 3-pointer to send the Hurricanes into overtime, he earned even more respect from Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski.

“It’s not luck. The kid is just a great player, a great shooter,” he said. “McClinton is just spectacular.”

Coach K even told McClinton after the game that he would do anything he could to help the guard get into the NBA.

“He is a gifted guy,” Florida State head coach Leonard Hamilton said. “He can make the tough shots and if you give him space, he will make it. He has a unique skill because of his mentality.”

J-Mac will eventually become Miami’s all-time 3-point shooter and will hold the record for the best career 3-point shooting percentage in the ACC.

“In 55 years in the history of the ACC, he is the leading man in history for 3-pointers,” said UNC head coach Roy Williams Sunday night, when McClinton scored a season-high 35 points in a 69-65 loss. “That tells you something. That’s how good he is.”

Lelan LeDoux

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...