Assistant vice president for Student Affairs up for position at Michigan

Richard Walker, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs, is one of three finalists for the combined position of dean of students and associate vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Michigan.

The two other finalists are Karen Boyd, the senior associate dean of Student Life at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Laura Jones, the interim dean of students and director of the Office of Student Life at the University of Oregon.

“There was a large candidate pool so being one of the three finalists is impressive,” said Linda Hancock Green, Michigan’s director of communication for the Division of Student Affairs.

These three candidates are being interviewed to replace Susan Eklunb, the previous associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, who is now retired. Sam Goodin is currently serving as the interim assistant dean of students.

Walker came to the University of Miami in 1987 to become the assistant dean of Student Personnel. In 1989, he became the associate dean of students for Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs before being named to his current position in 2003.

All three candidates will be visiting Michigan from Feb. 17 to Feb. 19 and will be available to speak to students and faculty.

Efforts to contact Walker in his office and over the phone were unsuccessful.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Miami junior Estela Perez-Somarriba's 6-4, 6-3 victory over Evgeniya Levashova will be re-broad ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...