Assistant vice president for Student Affairs up for position at Michigan

Richard Walker, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs, is one of three finalists for the combined position of dean of students and associate vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Michigan.

The two other finalists are Karen Boyd, the senior associate dean of Student Life at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Laura Jones, the interim dean of students and director of the Office of Student Life at the University of Oregon.

“There was a large candidate pool so being one of the three finalists is impressive,” said Linda Hancock Green, Michigan’s director of communication for the Division of Student Affairs.

These three candidates are being interviewed to replace Susan Eklunb, the previous associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, who is now retired. Sam Goodin is currently serving as the interim assistant dean of students.

Walker came to the University of Miami in 1987 to become the assistant dean of Student Personnel. In 1989, he became the associate dean of students for Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs before being named to his current position in 2003.

All three candidates will be visiting Michigan from Feb. 17 to Feb. 19 and will be available to speak to students and faculty.

Efforts to contact Walker in his office and over the phone were unsuccessful.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

Hosmay Lopez, a meteorologist at the University of Miami Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmosp ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

The overnight pre-orientation program – now in its 30th year – welcomes newly admitted first-year co ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...