Assistant vice president for Student Affairs up for position at Michigan

Richard Walker, the assistant vice president for Student Affairs, is one of three finalists for the combined position of dean of students and associate vice president for Student Affairs at the University of Michigan.

The two other finalists are Karen Boyd, the senior associate dean of Student Life at the Georgia Institute of Technology, and Laura Jones, the interim dean of students and director of the Office of Student Life at the University of Oregon.

“There was a large candidate pool so being one of the three finalists is impressive,” said Linda Hancock Green, Michigan’s director of communication for the Division of Student Affairs.

These three candidates are being interviewed to replace Susan Eklunb, the previous associate vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, who is now retired. Sam Goodin is currently serving as the interim assistant dean of students.

Walker came to the University of Miami in 1987 to become the assistant dean of Student Personnel. In 1989, he became the associate dean of students for Greek Affairs and Judicial Affairs before being named to his current position in 2003.

All three candidates will be visiting Michigan from Feb. 17 to Feb. 19 and will be available to speak to students and faculty.

Efforts to contact Walker in his office and over the phone were unsuccessful.

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...