Basketball

The Rat brings UM basketball support

After receiving steady turnout for the broadcast of the men’s basketball team’s trip to the NCAA tournament last season, the Rathskeller decided to host tailgates for every away game this year.

“If there is an away game, and the Rat is opened, we have a tailgate,” said Kimberly Lawrence, the tailgate chair for the Rat.

Knowing that fans watch them play while they compete hours away from home gives players the support they need to perform their best.

“It’s always important for our fans to watch us play,” said redshirt freshman center Julian Gamble. “It’s good because we know we have support in Miami even though we can’t see them.”

Lawrence said that despite free food, giveaways and the basketball team on the big screen, the tailgates are usually not well attended. But being able to support the team that they love is a top priority for super fans and girlfriends of the players.

“I think it’s really beneficial for me to be able to watch the games at the Rat because I can be supportive of him even when he’s away,” said Allison Mathis of her boyfriend, freshman forward DeQuan Jones.

Anika Arevalo occasionally finds herself at the Rat if her boyfriend, Gamble, plays a game aired on a channel that she doesn’t receive at home.

“I can’t miss a game,” she said.

As the buzz builds around campus, Lawrence hopes that the student population will find in them the same desire to support the basketball team while they are gone. A big fan of Hurricane basketball herself, she hopes more than anything that the tailgates will give students a chance to come together and show their support for the team.

“The tailgates are meant to be able to build up a fan base and allow students to show their school spirit,” Lawrence said.

Info Box:

Upcoming Tailgates
Wednesday Feb. 18 (UM @ FSU)- Game starts @ 7 p.m.
Thursday Feb. 26 (UM @ Virginia)- Game starts @ 8 p.m.
Wednesday March 4 (UM @ Georgia Tech)- Game starts @ 7:30 p.m.

Christine Williamson

Contributing Sports Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...