UM (Umphrey’s McGee) to play UM on (former) Langerado weekend

PHOTO COURTESY OF BEAU BLACKBURN

PHOTO COURTESY OF BEAU BLACKBURN

Beloved jam rockers Umphrey’s McGee will bring their dynamic live show to the University of Miami on Saturday, March 7. The band will appear without an opening act, as they will instead play two full sets for an approximately three-hour-long show. Hurricane Productions is sponsoring the free live event that will take place on the UC Patio starting at 8 p.m.

With the sudden cancellation of the Langerado Music Festival, many bands are frantically trying to book other shows for that weekend.

“We stole them away from the Culture Room and Revolution and such,” said Andrew Hunter, the large venue concert chair of the HP Concert Committee.

This will be the band’s only South Florida tour date for a group that plays more than 100 shows each year.

“These guys are known for playing for hours,” said Hunter, a senior majoring in English. “We’re just gonna let them do their thing.”

Band members themselves are excited to come to South Florida, having played Langerado multiple times in the festival’s six-year history.

“[Langerado] always had great lineups, so it’s obviously a huge disappointment what happened this year,” said Umphrey’s keyboardist Joel Cummins in an interview with The Miami Hurricane.

They’re excited this opportunity to play at UM arose, though.

“We’re totally psyched to be playing a gig that night – outside for a bunch of people for free,” Cummins said.

He describes Umphrey’s McGee’s sound as “the music that you’d want for the soundtrack of your life if you had to carry around a boom box. It’s pretty much whatever you want it to be, you just let us know and we’ll try to make that happen.”

The band will be playing songs from their new album Mantis, which dropped on Inauguration Day. The new album has received critical acclaim from the New York Times and Rolling Stone and has been noted as having a more condensed feel than their previous output.

The performance by Umphrey’s McGee will just add to a weekend of alternative Langerado festivities sponsored by HP. Patio Jams will take place as scheduled on Thursday, March 5. Later that day, local band Awesome New Republic and Chicago-based Future Rock will play Happy Hour at the Rat starting at 4:30 p.m.

The Hurricane Productions Concert Committee has brought N*E*R*D, Kidz in the Hall, TR3 feat Tim Reynolds, Pharoahe Monch, and the Heavy Pets to campus this school year.

Exclaimed Cummins, “University of Miami in March? Sign me up! Great!”

If You Go

Who: Umphrey’s McGee

When: Saturday, March 7, 2009. Show starts at 8 p.m.

Where: UC Patio

Cost: Free

Hilary Saunders

Senior EDGE Writer

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

For three years earlier this decade, Marlins Park would masquerade as a football venue at least once ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...