Junior Lionel Moise the only candidate for SG president

MOISE

MOISE

There is only one candidate running in this year’s Student Government presidential election: Lionel Moise, a junior, who will be running alongside vice-presidential candidate Kristen Weaver and candidate for treasurer Jeremy Kruger, both of whom are also juniors.

Competition still exists outside of this ticket, titled “U Matter, U Decide,” in the form of write-in candidates. However, write-in candidates cannot use graphic campaigning, which Brian M. Orefice, the co-advisor of Student Government, said is anything besides e-mail and word of mouth.

According to Student Government President Brandon Gross, the application process, for which the deadline was Feb. 6 at 5 p.m., became easier this year. Not only were applications in their usual locations, in the orientation and Student Government offices, but candidates for the first time had the option of applying online at www.miami.edu/sg.

Gross said that this was the only time Student Government advisors has seen a single-party race.

“People finally got to see Student Government do more and I thought this would encourage more people to step up to run next election,” Gross said.

Graphic campaigning begins today at 9 a.m. According to Moise, his team still plans on campaigning. They want students to know their platform and to make sure they are serving their constituent’s desires.

Moise continued to say that he had no problem in the application process to register his ticket.

Orefice said that there were rumors of up to three tickets running this year.

SG elections will occur from Feb. 23 to Feb. 25 and will also include senatorial races.

Info Boxes:
U Matter, U Decide
–          Online ticketing for games
–          Movie rentals at the UC
–          Expanded shuttle to Key Biscayne and Miracle Mile
–          More consistent Ibis Rides at the University Village

Lionel Moise
–          Member of Alpha Phi Alpha
–          Chief of Staff Internal for SG
–          R.A. for the University Village
–          First Vice President of UBS
–          Orientation Leader

Ed S. Fishman

News Editor

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...