‘The International’ fails at being ‘Bourne’

From its opening scene of a stealthy assassination to its unsatisfying yet realistic conclusion, The International feels like a pale imitation of The Constant Gardener. Still, it features stunning panoramic views of exotic locations like Milan and Istanbul and a timely if underdeveloped storyline, plus a valiant performance by Clive Owen.

The plot centers on Owen’s character Louis Salinger, an Interpol officer who works in tandem with Naomi Watts’ Eleanor Whitman of the Manhattan D.A.’s office to destroy the International Bank of Business and Credit. The IBBC’s recent activities have gone beyond issuing checks and now include providing third-world militias and hostile governments with advanced weaponry. The premise that banks are evil isn’t so far-fetched after September 2008, but the way that the film portrays this fact is ham-fisted. The IBBC is nefarious, but audiences almost expect to see Dr. Evil sitting in on conference calls.

Owen is determined and serious enough to give the film some credibility, and while Watts excels at looking frustrated and exhausted, her role is woefully underwritten. Director Tom Tykwer obviously aimed to make his own Bourne imitator, but the film’s one action scene – set in New York’s Guggenheim Museum – goes on for far too long. For all its faults, though, The International is smarter and more intriguing than the bland trailer would lead you to believe.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...