‘The International’ fails at being ‘Bourne’

From its opening scene of a stealthy assassination to its unsatisfying yet realistic conclusion, The International feels like a pale imitation of The Constant Gardener. Still, it features stunning panoramic views of exotic locations like Milan and Istanbul and a timely if underdeveloped storyline, plus a valiant performance by Clive Owen.

The plot centers on Owen’s character Louis Salinger, an Interpol officer who works in tandem with Naomi Watts’ Eleanor Whitman of the Manhattan D.A.’s office to destroy the International Bank of Business and Credit. The IBBC’s recent activities have gone beyond issuing checks and now include providing third-world militias and hostile governments with advanced weaponry. The premise that banks are evil isn’t so far-fetched after September 2008, but the way that the film portrays this fact is ham-fisted. The IBBC is nefarious, but audiences almost expect to see Dr. Evil sitting in on conference calls.

Owen is determined and serious enough to give the film some credibility, and while Watts excels at looking frustrated and exhausted, her role is woefully underwritten. Director Tom Tykwer obviously aimed to make his own Bourne imitator, but the film’s one action scene – set in New York’s Guggenheim Museum – goes on for far too long. For all its faults, though, The International is smarter and more intriguing than the bland trailer would lead you to believe.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

It would be hard to blame Avery Huff for rethinking his commitment to the Miami Hurricanes right now ...

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses. UM defensive c ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

A UM medical team has released the first report of acute symptoms and clinical findings in 25 person ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...