Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter titles Saturday at the Gilliam Indoor Track and Field Stadium at Texas A&M. Ahoure, who owns the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter event, became the world’s fastest sprinter this year in the 200-meter with a time of 23.14 seconds.

Sophomore All-American Ti’erra Brown finished second in the 60-meter hurdle and the 4×400 relay team also claimed second place for Miami.

SWIMMING/DIVING

National Champion and All-American junior diver Brittany Viola was announced as an addition to the USA diving roster for the 2009 FINA World Championships in Rome.

Earlier in the week, Viola competed at the World Selection Camp in Columbus, Ohio, where she recorded the highest score in the one-meter springboard. She also scored two second-place and one third-place dives on the platform event.

The 5′5″ Orlando, Fla. native will join six Beijing Olympians in July as they compete in Italy.

SOCCER

Five members of the women’s soccer team were named to the 2008 All-ACC Academic Team.

Sophomores Brittney Macdonald, Brittney Steinbruch and Lauren Singer earned their second honors, while senior Corynn Carino and freshman Julianne Rickers were recognized for the first time.

To be eligible, student-athletes must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during her academic career.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...