Sports Briefs

TRACK/FIELD

Senior Murielle Ahoure won both the 60 and 200-meter titles Saturday at the Gilliam Indoor Track and Field Stadium at Texas A&M. Ahoure, who owns the world’s fastest time in the 60-meter event, became the world’s fastest sprinter this year in the 200-meter with a time of 23.14 seconds.

Sophomore All-American Ti’erra Brown finished second in the 60-meter hurdle and the 4×400 relay team also claimed second place for Miami.

SWIMMING/DIVING

National Champion and All-American junior diver Brittany Viola was announced as an addition to the USA diving roster for the 2009 FINA World Championships in Rome.

Earlier in the week, Viola competed at the World Selection Camp in Columbus, Ohio, where she recorded the highest score in the one-meter springboard. She also scored two second-place and one third-place dives on the platform event.

The 5′5″ Orlando, Fla. native will join six Beijing Olympians in July as they compete in Italy.

SOCCER

Five members of the women’s soccer team were named to the 2008 All-ACC Academic Team.

Sophomores Brittney Macdonald, Brittney Steinbruch and Lauren Singer earned their second honors, while senior Corynn Carino and freshman Julianne Rickers were recognized for the first time.

To be eligible, student-athletes must have earned a 3.0 grade point average for the previous semester and a 3.0 cumulative average during her academic career.

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...