Our opinion: Housing hike strikes wrong note in current economic climate

As if we haven’t spoken about the economy enough this year…In a bold move by the university, overall on-campus housing will increase in price by 4.5 percent next year, and 5 percent at University Village.

Next academic year, a four bedroom/four bathroom apartment in University Village is going to cost close to $1,000 per month. The increases keep pace with what the university has done in past years, but this is no ordinary year.

So graduate students are being kicked out of the UV to make room for undergraduates in keeping with the school’s master plan, but we’re raising prices on those same students who are facing financial hardships?

The truth is – as we’ve said before – being a private university, we must take the good with the bad. While UM is a non-profit organization, they’re not running a charity, and budgetary shortfalls must be made up. It just seems a little wrong that while property values around the campus plummet, housing on campus keeps rising as it did in years past. The value of a college education certainly increases during tough times; housing certainly does now.

So what to do if you’re fearing these increases? Think outside the borders…of campus. In an informal survey, we found students living in a four-bedroom house within five miles of campus for about $650 per person per month (with roommates, of course). The Department of Residence Halls provides off-campus resources for those seeking to move just a little farther away from the heart of it all. With that extra $250-300 per month, you could easily afford a cheap car and a 12-pack of your favorite imported beer. It’s something to think about.

Editorial Board

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

More than 600 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service ...

Home Truth, the story of Jessica Lenahan’s pursuit of more effective domestic violence laws, screene ...

Members of the UM community who want to donate to relief efforts for those impacted by Hurricanes Mi ...

The University of Miami’s Model UN is working to expand its membership and reputation with its first ...

During a keynote address at a conference in Los Angeles, entrepreneurial heavyweight Magic Leap anno ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...