Author Chris Bohjalian to Speak at Books & Books

A one-time Miami resident, author Chris Bohjalian returns to South Florida for the paperback release of his novel Skeletons at the Feast.

A love story set in Germany and Poland during the last six months of World War II, the work chronicles the journey west of 18-year-old aristocrat Anna, her lover and prisoner-of-war Callum, and Uri, a German Jew disguised as a Wehrmacht corporal. The novel marks a significant change from other stories Bohjalian has written.

“The material has the importance and gravitas that much of my earlier works lacked,” he said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane.

The inspiration for the novel came about when a friend asked Bohjalian to read his East Prussian grandmother’s diary. Eight years later, while reading a non-fiction work about the war, Eva Henatsch’s riveting account of her march west resurfaced in Bohjalian’s memory. He began researching the era, interviewing Holocaust survivors and developing his narrative.

With 11 novels to his name, Bohjalian’s trip to bestseller status was not without rejection.

“I amassed 250 rejection slips before I ever sold a book,” he said. With determination in mind, his advice to young writers is simple: “Write about something you’re fascinatingly interested in,” he said.

The bestselling author also gives one word of inspiration: “phantasmagoric.”

“It suggests a certain type of entrancement, hypnotism, of being spellbound. It’s everything you want in a great novel,” Bohjalian said.

If you go:

Who: Author Chris Bohjalian has sold more than 3.5 million copies of his eleven novels. His book Midwives was chosen for Oprah’s Book Club and reached number one on the New York Times bestseller list.

What: The paperback release of Chris Bohjalian’s novel Skeletons at the Feast.

Where: Books & Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

Coral Gables, FL 33134

When: Feb. 18, 2009

8 to 10 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...