Author Chris Bohjalian to Speak at Books & Books

A one-time Miami resident, author Chris Bohjalian returns to South Florida for the paperback release of his novel Skeletons at the Feast.

A love story set in Germany and Poland during the last six months of World War II, the work chronicles the journey west of 18-year-old aristocrat Anna, her lover and prisoner-of-war Callum, and Uri, a German Jew disguised as a Wehrmacht corporal. The novel marks a significant change from other stories Bohjalian has written.

“The material has the importance and gravitas that much of my earlier works lacked,” he said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane.

The inspiration for the novel came about when a friend asked Bohjalian to read his East Prussian grandmother’s diary. Eight years later, while reading a non-fiction work about the war, Eva Henatsch’s riveting account of her march west resurfaced in Bohjalian’s memory. He began researching the era, interviewing Holocaust survivors and developing his narrative.

With 11 novels to his name, Bohjalian’s trip to bestseller status was not without rejection.

“I amassed 250 rejection slips before I ever sold a book,” he said. With determination in mind, his advice to young writers is simple: “Write about something you’re fascinatingly interested in,” he said.

The bestselling author also gives one word of inspiration: “phantasmagoric.”

“It suggests a certain type of entrancement, hypnotism, of being spellbound. It’s everything you want in a great novel,” Bohjalian said.

If you go:

Who: Author Chris Bohjalian has sold more than 3.5 million copies of his eleven novels. His book Midwives was chosen for Oprah’s Book Club and reached number one on the New York Times bestseller list.

What: The paperback release of Chris Bohjalian’s novel Skeletons at the Feast.

Where: Books & Books, Coral Gables

265 Aragon Avenue

Coral Gables, FL 33134

When: Feb. 18, 2009

8 to 10 p.m.

Cost: Free

Ashley Torres

Senior EDGE Writer

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...