UM online music provider Ruckus shuts its doors, takes school by surprise

ruckus_final_logo

The image that appeared on Ruckus's web site on Feb. 6, after the site's shutdown.

Ruckus, an online music service geared towards students including those at the University of Miami, closed its virtual doors on Feb. 6.

The site, which allowed students to stream an unlimited amount of music, was designed to appeal to college students, offering a legal alternative to the piracy that can be found on many campuses.

Ruckus, a service that first relied on subscriptions, eventually moved to an ad-supported model with partnerships with dozens of major universities. Eventually it opened to all students with an accepted .edu e-mail address.

“We were not notified that they were going to shut down,” assistant vice president for Student Affairs Gilbert Arias said Wednesday. “I received a telephone call from [Student Government President] Brandon Gross. It seems other universities were taken by surprise, too.”

The university is now in contact with Ruckus to try and retrieve playlist information for students so they won’t have to re-download all their current music.

“We are trying to find a new service if there is one,” Gross said. “I welcome student input.”

Ruckus did not act in accordance with their contract with the university when they closed down, according to Arias, because Ruckus had an obligation to notify UM before any interruption of service. However, after consultation with the university’s general counsel, the school is not pursuing any legal action.

According to Arias, the school is in the process of researching other music services geared towards college use. The beginning of next year is a natural target point, but if something comes up before next August, Arias says the university would “love to have it.” The university plans to inform the student body once a decision has been made.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...