UM online music provider Ruckus shuts its doors, takes school by surprise

ruckus_final_logo

The image that appeared on Ruckus's web site on Feb. 6, after the site's shutdown.

Ruckus, an online music service geared towards students including those at the University of Miami, closed its virtual doors on Feb. 6.

The site, which allowed students to stream an unlimited amount of music, was designed to appeal to college students, offering a legal alternative to the piracy that can be found on many campuses.

Ruckus, a service that first relied on subscriptions, eventually moved to an ad-supported model with partnerships with dozens of major universities. Eventually it opened to all students with an accepted .edu e-mail address.

“We were not notified that they were going to shut down,” assistant vice president for Student Affairs Gilbert Arias said Wednesday. “I received a telephone call from [Student Government President] Brandon Gross. It seems other universities were taken by surprise, too.”

The university is now in contact with Ruckus to try and retrieve playlist information for students so they won’t have to re-download all their current music.

“We are trying to find a new service if there is one,” Gross said. “I welcome student input.”

Ruckus did not act in accordance with their contract with the university when they closed down, according to Arias, because Ruckus had an obligation to notify UM before any interruption of service. However, after consultation with the university’s general counsel, the school is not pursuing any legal action.

According to Arias, the school is in the process of researching other music services geared towards college use. The beginning of next year is a natural target point, but if something comes up before next August, Arias says the university would “love to have it.” The university plans to inform the student body once a decision has been made.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...