UM online music provider Ruckus shuts its doors, takes school by surprise

ruckus_final_logo

The image that appeared on Ruckus's web site on Feb. 6, after the site's shutdown.

Ruckus, an online music service geared towards students including those at the University of Miami, closed its virtual doors on Feb. 6.

The site, which allowed students to stream an unlimited amount of music, was designed to appeal to college students, offering a legal alternative to the piracy that can be found on many campuses.

Ruckus, a service that first relied on subscriptions, eventually moved to an ad-supported model with partnerships with dozens of major universities. Eventually it opened to all students with an accepted .edu e-mail address.

“We were not notified that they were going to shut down,” assistant vice president for Student Affairs Gilbert Arias said Wednesday. “I received a telephone call from [Student Government President] Brandon Gross. It seems other universities were taken by surprise, too.”

The university is now in contact with Ruckus to try and retrieve playlist information for students so they won’t have to re-download all their current music.

“We are trying to find a new service if there is one,” Gross said. “I welcome student input.”

Ruckus did not act in accordance with their contract with the university when they closed down, according to Arias, because Ruckus had an obligation to notify UM before any interruption of service. However, after consultation with the university’s general counsel, the school is not pursuing any legal action.

According to Arias, the school is in the process of researching other music services geared towards college use. The beginning of next year is a natural target point, but if something comes up before next August, Arias says the university would “love to have it.” The university plans to inform the student body once a decision has been made.

Erika Capek

Assistant News Editor

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...