Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

University of North Carolina special teams coach and defensive assistant John Lovett is rumored to be hired as the new defensive coordinator of the University of Miami football program, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Lovett, 58, would be the third defensive coordinator in three seasons at UM and would replace Bill Young, who left last month for his alma mater, Oklahoma State. Lovett has spent 15 seasons coaching, with stops at Bowling Green, Clemson, Auburn and Maine.

It was announced that 2009 football season ticket prices have been reduced in 24 sections at Dolphin Stadium, which amounts to around 15,000 seats. All other sections will remain unchanged from last year.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

No. 15 Miami (6-0) will face top-ranked Northwestern (3-0) in the first round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women’s Team Indoor at 9 a.m. tomorrow at the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis.

While four Hurricanes are nationally-ranked singles players – sophomores Julia Cohen (No. 8), Bianca Eichkorn (No. 20), Michaela Kissell (No. 50) and junior Laura Vallverdu (No. 114) – the Wilcats have three players in the top-30, including top-ranked sophomore Maria Mosolova.

Each team has a pair of ranked doubles teams and have beaten three ranked opponents so far this season.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was named the ACC Player of the Week after averaging 33 points, three rebounds and 1.5 steals in a 79-52 win against sixth-ranked Wake Forest and 78-75 overtime loss to fourth-ranked Duke. This marks the third time the Baltimore, Md., native has earned the honor.

Antoine Allen, a 6’2″, 186-pound prep school guard who is a member of the same AAU team McClinton played for (Cecil Kirk), hopes to sign with the Canes in April, according to The Miami Herald. He is considered a three-star recruit by Rivals and Scout.com, but is from the same mold as Miami’s All-ACC guard.

SWIMMING/DIVING

University of Miami National Champion and All-American junior diver Brittany Viola took part in the World Championship Team Selection Camp in Columbus, Ohio, over the past few days.

She scored two second-place finishes and one third-place dive on the platform, while receiving first and third on the one-meter springboard.

TRACK/FIELD

For the second time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week.

At the Virginia Tech Elite this past weekend, Ahoure finished first in both the 60-meter dash, which she holds the world’s fastest time in this year, and the 200-meter dash.

VOLLEYBALL

Junior libero Cassie Loessberg earned Most Valuable Player, while sophomore setter Katie Gallagher was given her second consecutive 100% Award at the annual volleyball end-of-the-year awards ceremony.

Senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis took the Most Inspirational Award and three outside hitters were given honors – redshirt freshman Christine Williamson the Co-Most Improved Award, senior Bridget Bomhack the Unsung Hero Award and sophomore Maria Andersson the Academic Award.

The Canes collected their best ACC record at 14-6, and just missed making their second-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

The life of a fullback isn’t always glamorous, even 15 years ago before the position was essentially ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Two University of Miami a cappella groups, Tufaan and BisCaydence, celebrated big wins in different ...

After Alabama’s governor signed into law the most-stringent anti-abortion bill in the nation, UM exp ...

The Canes are the top team in Pool D, joined by No. 5 North Carolina and No. 9 Virginia. ...

The matchups are set for the NCAA Singles Championship and NCAA Doubles Championship at the USTA Nat ...

Chris McMahon struck out six over five shutout innings to earn his first win since April 6. ...

Miami's Second Varsity Four earned a bronze medal at the 2019 ACC Rowing Championships Saturday ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is the ITA Southeast Region Arthur Ashe ...