Sports Briefs

FOOTBALL

University of North Carolina special teams coach and defensive assistant John Lovett is rumored to be hired as the new defensive coordinator of the University of Miami football program, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Lovett, 58, would be the third defensive coordinator in three seasons at UM and would replace Bill Young, who left last month for his alma mater, Oklahoma State. Lovett has spent 15 seasons coaching, with stops at Bowling Green, Clemson, Auburn and Maine.

It was announced that 2009 football season ticket prices have been reduced in 24 sections at Dolphin Stadium, which amounts to around 15,000 seats. All other sections will remain unchanged from last year.

WOMEN’S TENNIS

No. 15 Miami (6-0) will face top-ranked Northwestern (3-0) in the first round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association National Women’s Team Indoor at 9 a.m. tomorrow at the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wis.

While four Hurricanes are nationally-ranked singles players – sophomores Julia Cohen (No. 8), Bianca Eichkorn (No. 20), Michaela Kissell (No. 50) and junior Laura Vallverdu (No. 114) – the Wilcats have three players in the top-30, including top-ranked sophomore Maria Mosolova.

Each team has a pair of ranked doubles teams and have beaten three ranked opponents so far this season.

MEN’S BASKETBALL

Senior guard Jack McClinton was named the ACC Player of the Week after averaging 33 points, three rebounds and 1.5 steals in a 79-52 win against sixth-ranked Wake Forest and 78-75 overtime loss to fourth-ranked Duke. This marks the third time the Baltimore, Md., native has earned the honor.

Antoine Allen, a 6’2″, 186-pound prep school guard who is a member of the same AAU team McClinton played for (Cecil Kirk), hopes to sign with the Canes in April, according to The Miami Herald. He is considered a three-star recruit by Rivals and Scout.com, but is from the same mold as Miami’s All-ACC guard.

SWIMMING/DIVING

University of Miami National Champion and All-American junior diver Brittany Viola took part in the World Championship Team Selection Camp in Columbus, Ohio, over the past few days.

She scored two second-place finishes and one third-place dive on the platform, while receiving first and third on the one-meter springboard.

TRACK/FIELD

For the second time this season, senior Murielle Ahoure received the honor of ACC Indoor Track and Field Performer of the Week.

At the Virginia Tech Elite this past weekend, Ahoure finished first in both the 60-meter dash, which she holds the world’s fastest time in this year, and the 200-meter dash.

VOLLEYBALL

Junior libero Cassie Loessberg earned Most Valuable Player, while sophomore setter Katie Gallagher was given her second consecutive 100% Award at the annual volleyball end-of-the-year awards ceremony.

Senior middle blocker Angelica Ellis took the Most Inspirational Award and three outside hitters were given honors – redshirt freshman Christine Williamson the Co-Most Improved Award, senior Bridget Bomhack the Unsung Hero Award and sophomore Maria Andersson the Academic Award.

The Canes collected their best ACC record at 14-6, and just missed making their second-ever appearance in the NCAA tournament.

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Christina De Nicola

Editor In Chief

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...