Singer Chana to perform in Bayfront Park

Singer Chana Tavarez describes her sound as “trop-electro-hip-hop.”  For those scratching their heads trying to understand what that means, that’s exactly what Chana wants.

“I think it’s really interesting that people can identify me as having my own sound. I think really the only way I can describe my sound is if I do it myself,” Chana said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “I don’t think it’s something that you can describe easily.”

The singer will be performing for free as part of the Downtown Miami Concert Series this coming Friday. Chana, who moved to Miami when she was 9 years old, said she views this performance as a homecoming of sorts.

Chana (short for Rosanna) is a dancer, actress, and television show host, in addition to being a singer. She can remember her love affair with music starting at a young age. She learned to dance merengue by standing on her grandmother’s feet, and loved belting out songs from the musical Annie.

“Anything that had to do with music and dancing captured my attention and my imagination,” Chana said. That her parents cultivated a love of music in their children is also evidenced by her younger brother (and University of Miami alumus) Omar Tavarez, who will be performing in a band that will be opening for her.

According to Chana, she doesn’t let the stress of pleasing the audience get to her in an effort to avoid over-thinking a performance. Instead, she wants the audience to respond to her authenticity. Chana describes success in the music industry as having an impact on both the commercial and underground arenas.

“It has to do with the artist disseminating the music and the audience receiving it,” she said.

Those who have heard Chana’s music or are intrigued by the idea of hearing her eclectic trop-electro-hip-hop sound should head downtown for the free show. Chana urged people to take a chance on her sound: “It is its own brand of music…I want them to come and be open and listen.”

If you go:
What: Chana Live at Bayfront Park

When: Friday, Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m.

Where:  Tina Hills Pavilion in Bayfront Park, 301 North Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami

Cost: Free

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...