Singer Chana to perform in Bayfront Park

Singer Chana Tavarez describes her sound as “trop-electro-hip-hop.”  For those scratching their heads trying to understand what that means, that’s exactly what Chana wants.

“I think it’s really interesting that people can identify me as having my own sound. I think really the only way I can describe my sound is if I do it myself,” Chana said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “I don’t think it’s something that you can describe easily.”

The singer will be performing for free as part of the Downtown Miami Concert Series this coming Friday. Chana, who moved to Miami when she was 9 years old, said she views this performance as a homecoming of sorts.

Chana (short for Rosanna) is a dancer, actress, and television show host, in addition to being a singer. She can remember her love affair with music starting at a young age. She learned to dance merengue by standing on her grandmother’s feet, and loved belting out songs from the musical Annie.

“Anything that had to do with music and dancing captured my attention and my imagination,” Chana said. That her parents cultivated a love of music in their children is also evidenced by her younger brother (and University of Miami alumus) Omar Tavarez, who will be performing in a band that will be opening for her.

According to Chana, she doesn’t let the stress of pleasing the audience get to her in an effort to avoid over-thinking a performance. Instead, she wants the audience to respond to her authenticity. Chana describes success in the music industry as having an impact on both the commercial and underground arenas.

“It has to do with the artist disseminating the music and the audience receiving it,” she said.

Those who have heard Chana’s music or are intrigued by the idea of hearing her eclectic trop-electro-hip-hop sound should head downtown for the free show. Chana urged people to take a chance on her sound: “It is its own brand of music…I want them to come and be open and listen.”

If you go:
What: Chana Live at Bayfront Park

When: Friday, Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m.

Where:  Tina Hills Pavilion in Bayfront Park, 301 North Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami

Cost: Free

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...