Singer Chana to perform in Bayfront Park

Singer Chana Tavarez describes her sound as “trop-electro-hip-hop.”  For those scratching their heads trying to understand what that means, that’s exactly what Chana wants.

“I think it’s really interesting that people can identify me as having my own sound. I think really the only way I can describe my sound is if I do it myself,” Chana said in an interview with The Miami Hurricane. “I don’t think it’s something that you can describe easily.”

The singer will be performing for free as part of the Downtown Miami Concert Series this coming Friday. Chana, who moved to Miami when she was 9 years old, said she views this performance as a homecoming of sorts.

Chana (short for Rosanna) is a dancer, actress, and television show host, in addition to being a singer. She can remember her love affair with music starting at a young age. She learned to dance merengue by standing on her grandmother’s feet, and loved belting out songs from the musical Annie.

“Anything that had to do with music and dancing captured my attention and my imagination,” Chana said. That her parents cultivated a love of music in their children is also evidenced by her younger brother (and University of Miami alumus) Omar Tavarez, who will be performing in a band that will be opening for her.

According to Chana, she doesn’t let the stress of pleasing the audience get to her in an effort to avoid over-thinking a performance. Instead, she wants the audience to respond to her authenticity. Chana describes success in the music industry as having an impact on both the commercial and underground arenas.

“It has to do with the artist disseminating the music and the audience receiving it,” she said.

Those who have heard Chana’s music or are intrigued by the idea of hearing her eclectic trop-electro-hip-hop sound should head downtown for the free show. Chana urged people to take a chance on her sound: “It is its own brand of music…I want them to come and be open and listen.”

If you go:
What: Chana Live at Bayfront Park

When: Friday, Feb. 11 at 5:30 p.m.

Where:  Tina Hills Pavilion in Bayfront Park, 301 North Biscayne Blvd. in Downtown Miami

Cost: Free

MacKenzie Green

Contributing EDGE Writer

It sure sounds like redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is going to get his first career start at 8 Thurs ...

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...