Should we rethink A-Rod Stadium? I think not

On Friday night the University of Miami plans to honor a cheater by officially naming their baseball stadium Alex Rodriguez Park.

Like him or not, Alex Rodriguez cheated his profession. He cheated his teammates and he cheated the American people. He earned money that was not rightly his because his ability was artificially enhanced by an illegal substance.

Unlike so many others, however, Rodriguez promptly admitted to his mistake. Admission of guilt should not be rewarded with a free pass, though.

This Friday, at a fundraiser for the baseball team, Rodriguez will make his first public appearance since admitting to using steroids. Part of this fundraiser will be a ceremony to name the newly renovated baseball stadium Alex Rodriguez Park.

Should the university reconsider the name choice? Absolutely not. They are not naming the stadium to honor Rodriguez. The BankUnited Center was not chosen to replace the Convocation Center because of their great work in the community.

They were chosen because they were willing to pay enough money to have their name associated with the University of Miami, mainly for advertising.

Rodriguez doesn’t need to advertise himself, especially since he is already the highest-paid baseball player. In light of recent events, including his connection with Madonna, some good public relations wouldn’t hurt.

Sure, Miami is getting some negative press because of their ties with Alex Rodriguez. But remember, he didn’t play here. He didn’t even go here. He just gave his favorite childhood team some money so they could renovate their stadium. Since professional sports seems to be the only recession-proof business in the country, can you blame them for naming the stadium after a former fan who donated $3.9 million?

If teams decided to take down the signs of all their corporate sponsors that have ever cheated, not only would their stadiums be bare, but their wallets would be empty as well.

Matt Mullin

Contributing Writer

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...