Should we rethink A-Rod Stadium? I think not

On Friday night the University of Miami plans to honor a cheater by officially naming their baseball stadium Alex Rodriguez Park.

Like him or not, Alex Rodriguez cheated his profession. He cheated his teammates and he cheated the American people. He earned money that was not rightly his because his ability was artificially enhanced by an illegal substance.

Unlike so many others, however, Rodriguez promptly admitted to his mistake. Admission of guilt should not be rewarded with a free pass, though.

This Friday, at a fundraiser for the baseball team, Rodriguez will make his first public appearance since admitting to using steroids. Part of this fundraiser will be a ceremony to name the newly renovated baseball stadium Alex Rodriguez Park.

Should the university reconsider the name choice? Absolutely not. They are not naming the stadium to honor Rodriguez. The BankUnited Center was not chosen to replace the Convocation Center because of their great work in the community.

They were chosen because they were willing to pay enough money to have their name associated with the University of Miami, mainly for advertising.

Rodriguez doesn’t need to advertise himself, especially since he is already the highest-paid baseball player. In light of recent events, including his connection with Madonna, some good public relations wouldn’t hurt.

Sure, Miami is getting some negative press because of their ties with Alex Rodriguez. But remember, he didn’t play here. He didn’t even go here. He just gave his favorite childhood team some money so they could renovate their stadium. Since professional sports seems to be the only recession-proof business in the country, can you blame them for naming the stadium after a former fan who donated $3.9 million?

If teams decided to take down the signs of all their corporate sponsors that have ever cheated, not only would their stadiums be bare, but their wallets would be empty as well.

Matt Mullin

Contributing Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

There are few players across Florida whose recruitment has been harder to parse than Derick Hunter’s ...

While University of Miami fans are not exactly thrilled about their Hurricanes going against the Wis ...

There was a time John Dixon looked like he would have his choice of just about any college he wanted ...

Part 2 of a 3-part series Former Marlins president David Samson, now unshackled by any contractual r ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

A record number of gifts have been collected across UM campuses to benefit children and seniors in t ...

Former Prime Minister of Israel Ehud Barak, who previously served as minister of the interior and mi ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...

The University of Miami's redshirt senior setter Haley Templeton was named to the 2018 AVCA All ...