Shalala addresses Faculty Senate off-the-record

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala addressed the Faculty Senate in a meeting this afternoon. In light of worsening economic conditions, she outlined contingency plans that will take the university through the next two years and is geared towards lowering expenses and protecting the university’s in-hand cash.

In past years, the university saw unprecedented growth through investments, but this growth has been overturned by the current economic climate. The administration has been trying during the past few months to find ways to cut expenses so as to avoid going to the credit market to borrow money and hurt the university’s cash position.

Because of the sensitive nature of the meeting’s content, The Miami Hurricane was asked to defer publication until the Faculty Senate General Welfare Committee has discussed it.

“We have already implemented a wide range of measures and are now taking an even more comprehensive look at how it will impact short- and long-term University operations,” said Shalala, in a letter to the university community earlier this week. “We do not know how long this downturn will last, but it would be prudent to define short-term as at least the next two years.”

In the letter, Shalala also dispelled fears of across-the-board layoffs. She said that while she could not guarantee that projects won’t be closing as it normally happens at a university, massive layoffs are not part of the plan. The university has frozen hiring since last December and all capital projects that weren’t already well underway have been stopped.

According to Shalala, however, the priority is to protect the core of the university’s mission: teaching, research and clinical care. They are also focused on protecting the jobs of full-time employees.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...