Shalala addresses Faculty Senate off-the-record

University of Miami President Donna E. Shalala addressed the Faculty Senate in a meeting this afternoon. In light of worsening economic conditions, she outlined contingency plans that will take the university through the next two years and is geared towards lowering expenses and protecting the university’s in-hand cash.

In past years, the university saw unprecedented growth through investments, but this growth has been overturned by the current economic climate. The administration has been trying during the past few months to find ways to cut expenses so as to avoid going to the credit market to borrow money and hurt the university’s cash position.

Because of the sensitive nature of the meeting’s content, The Miami Hurricane was asked to defer publication until the Faculty Senate General Welfare Committee has discussed it.

“We have already implemented a wide range of measures and are now taking an even more comprehensive look at how it will impact short- and long-term University operations,” said Shalala, in a letter to the university community earlier this week. “We do not know how long this downturn will last, but it would be prudent to define short-term as at least the next two years.”

In the letter, Shalala also dispelled fears of across-the-board layoffs. She said that while she could not guarantee that projects won’t be closing as it normally happens at a university, massive layoffs are not part of the plan. The university has frozen hiring since last December and all capital projects that weren’t already well underway have been stopped.

According to Shalala, however, the priority is to protect the core of the university’s mission: teaching, research and clinical care. They are also focused on protecting the jobs of full-time employees.

Lila Albizu

Assistant News Editor

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...