Our opinion: ‘Don’t hate – participate’ for Valentine’s Day, lover or no

It’s the middle of February, so that means it’s time for the most contradictory of holidays: Valentine’s Day. For a holiday meant for love, there sure is a lot of hating going on out there.

We all see the couples walking around with a little extra bounce in their step and the single people who can barely pick their head up off the ground. V-Day seems to be the “country club” of holidays. For celebrations like Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Chanukah, people come from miles away to gather in large groups, celebrate and generally have a good time together. For the 14th of February, two is the loneliest number if you’re not in a relationship.

Of course, there’s a lot to hate about Cupid’s day. Your friends are annoying and shut you out. It’s impossible to buy a good box of chocolate or a dozen roses. You feel obligated to buy a box of those little cards you gave away in elementary school, in case someone gives an “I Choo-Choo-Choose You” to you.

But why the vitriol from the single ladies and gentlemen? There are relationships and mushy couples throughout the whole year, but no one raises a stink (except for the most bitter and jaded of us). Ultimately, we think it comes down to acceptance. Whether it’s a “greeting card” holiday or not, it still feels pretty bad to be shut out by a large chunk of society. When you feel like there’s a party going on and you’re not invited, you’re bound to be angry and dismiss the others. But that’s not the answer.

Accept what you are. The couples are perfectly happy going around coupling and doing what couples do; accept the awesomeness of singledom. Hit the Grove and try to pick up some singles action. Hang out with your other single friends and just be. Don’t hate – participate! We think that when you wake up on the 15th, whether it be with someone or without, you’ll feel a lot better.

Editorial Board

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...