Our opinion: ‘Don’t hate – participate’ for Valentine’s Day, lover or no

It’s the middle of February, so that means it’s time for the most contradictory of holidays: Valentine’s Day. For a holiday meant for love, there sure is a lot of hating going on out there.

We all see the couples walking around with a little extra bounce in their step and the single people who can barely pick their head up off the ground. V-Day seems to be the “country club” of holidays. For celebrations like Memorial Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas and Chanukah, people come from miles away to gather in large groups, celebrate and generally have a good time together. For the 14th of February, two is the loneliest number if you’re not in a relationship.

Of course, there’s a lot to hate about Cupid’s day. Your friends are annoying and shut you out. It’s impossible to buy a good box of chocolate or a dozen roses. You feel obligated to buy a box of those little cards you gave away in elementary school, in case someone gives an “I Choo-Choo-Choose You” to you.

But why the vitriol from the single ladies and gentlemen? There are relationships and mushy couples throughout the whole year, but no one raises a stink (except for the most bitter and jaded of us). Ultimately, we think it comes down to acceptance. Whether it’s a “greeting card” holiday or not, it still feels pretty bad to be shut out by a large chunk of society. When you feel like there’s a party going on and you’re not invited, you’re bound to be angry and dismiss the others. But that’s not the answer.

Accept what you are. The couples are perfectly happy going around coupling and doing what couples do; accept the awesomeness of singledom. Hit the Grove and try to pick up some singles action. Hang out with your other single friends and just be. Don’t hate – participate! We think that when you wake up on the 15th, whether it be with someone or without, you’ll feel a lot better.

Editorial Board

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...