Club/Intramural Sports

Miami’s equestrian team making strides

The University of Miami’s 2008-2009 equestrian team might be one of the best kept secrets in club sports on campus.

This team consists of 35 members, 18 of whom participate competitively. Although 10 of them are newcomers, the team is quietly making a lot of noise in the world of horse riding.

“I’m a senior so I guess I decided late, but basically I didn’t really know that it existed and I kind of talked to some people,” said senior Jessica Warren, who has been riding since kindergarten. “This is the first year I really decided to look into it and get serious about it.”

Competitive horse riding is unlike any of the popular sports at UM such as football and basketball.

“What makes it unique is that, unlike other sports, riding is an individual sport, but you’re with a horse,” sophomore Reba Evans said. “You’re having that bond with a huge animal and work and compete together.”

It all begins when a team arrives at the show and goes through a draw process, where all of the participants’ names are placed on a form in a random order within each class. Each participant gets a popsicle stick drawn for them, which has a number of a horse.

A rider has never ridden the horse before and this enables a level playing field.

Two classes divide the competition: a jumping class and a flat/riding class, though nine classes can be split into additional ones if there are too many riders. The jumping class consists of only those who compete on the novice level or above.

Judges score riders for their body position and the behavior of the horse. Sometimes riders receive re-rides because the horse may buck, rear or run off. Generally, a new horse is provided to the rider if it runs off.

To earn overall points, teams pick “point riders” before they get their horses. Certain individual points can also help the individual rider qualify for regions and nationals.

On Nov. 22 of last year, Miami finished fifth overall at the College of Charleston’s show. Seven individual riders placed in their respected divisions, including a first place finish for Warren in the Intermediate Flat, which consists of no jumps, and a third place ranking for sophomore Katie Sickling in Walk/Trot/Canter Advanced.

A day later, the Hurricanes traveled to Georgia Southern University for its show. Even though the team didn’t place, nine riders received high marks in their divisions.

Sophomore Lily Johnson-Ulrich qualified for regions by finishing first in the Walk/Trot/Canter Advanced and Warren once again placed first in the Intermediate Flat.

The equestrian team hosted its seventh-annual horse show on Saturday at Tropical Park and came in fourth overall.

“Overall we did really well. It’s extremely hard to do well at your own show,” said Evans, who finished sixth in the Open Flat. “We do a lot of traveling so we were putting stuff together weeks in advance for the show.”

All 13 girls placed, with Warren receiving the honor of High Point Rider after finishing first in the Intermediate Flat and second in Open Fences, which is a course of eight jumps.

“I was tied with another girl so we did a ride off and I won, so I was real excited,” Warren said. “What I love most about riding is it’s a lot of fun, it’s really rewarding at the end of the day and I love the horses. It’s a lot of work, but I’ve met so many people doing it.”

Carissa Harris

Contributing Sports Writer

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

Mark Richt is sticking with the veteran. The Miami Hurricanes coach announced during the weekly Atla ...

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

A grant from the German government will support a series of roundtable and networking sessions on U. ...

As BioNIUM’s new director, the chair of the Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology plans t ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

For the second straight year, all of the Miami women's basketball teams will be televised and f ...

The University of Miami soccer team heads to the Tar Heel state for a pair of road matches beginning ...

Get to Know U is a series that introduces the newest members of the Miami Hurricanes track and field ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...