Club/Intramural Sports

Miami’s equestrian team making strides

The University of Miami’s 2008-2009 equestrian team might be one of the best kept secrets in club sports on campus.

This team consists of 35 members, 18 of whom participate competitively. Although 10 of them are newcomers, the team is quietly making a lot of noise in the world of horse riding.

“I’m a senior so I guess I decided late, but basically I didn’t really know that it existed and I kind of talked to some people,” said senior Jessica Warren, who has been riding since kindergarten. “This is the first year I really decided to look into it and get serious about it.”

Competitive horse riding is unlike any of the popular sports at UM such as football and basketball.

“What makes it unique is that, unlike other sports, riding is an individual sport, but you’re with a horse,” sophomore Reba Evans said. “You’re having that bond with a huge animal and work and compete together.”

It all begins when a team arrives at the show and goes through a draw process, where all of the participants’ names are placed on a form in a random order within each class. Each participant gets a popsicle stick drawn for them, which has a number of a horse.

A rider has never ridden the horse before and this enables a level playing field.

Two classes divide the competition: a jumping class and a flat/riding class, though nine classes can be split into additional ones if there are too many riders. The jumping class consists of only those who compete on the novice level or above.

Judges score riders for their body position and the behavior of the horse. Sometimes riders receive re-rides because the horse may buck, rear or run off. Generally, a new horse is provided to the rider if it runs off.

To earn overall points, teams pick “point riders” before they get their horses. Certain individual points can also help the individual rider qualify for regions and nationals.

On Nov. 22 of last year, Miami finished fifth overall at the College of Charleston’s show. Seven individual riders placed in their respected divisions, including a first place finish for Warren in the Intermediate Flat, which consists of no jumps, and a third place ranking for sophomore Katie Sickling in Walk/Trot/Canter Advanced.

A day later, the Hurricanes traveled to Georgia Southern University for its show. Even though the team didn’t place, nine riders received high marks in their divisions.

Sophomore Lily Johnson-Ulrich qualified for regions by finishing first in the Walk/Trot/Canter Advanced and Warren once again placed first in the Intermediate Flat.

The equestrian team hosted its seventh-annual horse show on Saturday at Tropical Park and came in fourth overall.

“Overall we did really well. It’s extremely hard to do well at your own show,” said Evans, who finished sixth in the Open Flat. “We do a lot of traveling so we were putting stuff together weeks in advance for the show.”

All 13 girls placed, with Warren receiving the honor of High Point Rider after finishing first in the Intermediate Flat and second in Open Fences, which is a course of eight jumps.

“I was tied with another girl so we did a ride off and I won, so I was real excited,” Warren said. “What I love most about riding is it’s a lot of fun, it’s really rewarding at the end of the day and I love the horses. It’s a lot of work, but I’ve met so many people doing it.”

Carissa Harris

Contributing Sports Writer

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

The first debates of the Democratic presidential primary season will take place over two nights. How ...

Doctoral student Maria del Rosario Concha Mendez is spending the summer researching materials in the ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that led her to sign up w ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

Two outgoing Miami student-athletes, Emese Hof and Samantha Gonzalez, are among the record 585 nomin ...

Chris McMahon was selected to participate in the 2019 USA Baseball Collegiate National Team training ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...