Lily Allen sings cheeky, danceable songs on ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’

The Lily Allen of her highly anticipated new album It’s Not Me, It’s You is not the insolent, nearly vulgar Lily featured in every tabloid from Los Angeles to London. That Lily starts feuds just to have something to do, cries on MySpace about being fat and romances men 20 years her senior. The Lily featured on this CD, while still unrestrained, is introspective and inquisitive.

No one is safe from Allen’s wrath: she implores George W. Bush to “look inside [his]tiny mind” on “Fuck You” and declares Creedence Clearwater Revival God’s favorite band on “Him.” “22,” like Amy Winehouse’s brilliant “Fuck Me Pumps,” tears apart gold-digging cougars, and Allen discusses drug use on the synth-heavy “Everyone’s At It.” The best songs on the album are its first single, “The Fear,” in which she attacks her public persona as a tabloid fixture, and “Never Gonna Happen,” her biting dismissal of an ex-lover.

For an album with such heavy subject matter, this album is bright and utterly danceable, requiring multiple listens just to catch the songs’ nuances. As a songwriter, Lennon/McCartney she’s not, but Lily Allen succeeds at being her usual cheeky self with flying colors.

3/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...