Lily Allen sings cheeky, danceable songs on ‘It’s Not Me, It’s You’

The Lily Allen of her highly anticipated new album It’s Not Me, It’s You is not the insolent, nearly vulgar Lily featured in every tabloid from Los Angeles to London. That Lily starts feuds just to have something to do, cries on MySpace about being fat and romances men 20 years her senior. The Lily featured on this CD, while still unrestrained, is introspective and inquisitive.

No one is safe from Allen’s wrath: she implores George W. Bush to “look inside [his]tiny mind” on “Fuck You” and declares Creedence Clearwater Revival God’s favorite band on “Him.” “22,” like Amy Winehouse’s brilliant “Fuck Me Pumps,” tears apart gold-digging cougars, and Allen discusses drug use on the synth-heavy “Everyone’s At It.” The best songs on the album are its first single, “The Fear,” in which she attacks her public persona as a tabloid fixture, and “Never Gonna Happen,” her biting dismissal of an ex-lover.

For an album with such heavy subject matter, this album is bright and utterly danceable, requiring multiple listens just to catch the songs’ nuances. As a songwriter, Lennon/McCartney she’s not, but Lily Allen succeeds at being her usual cheeky self with flying colors.

3/4 stars

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Is there an apt comparison for this year’s American League Championship series between the Boston Re ...

If the University of Miami defense isn’t boiling with frustration by now, it must be simmering in an ...

Miami Hurricanes redshirt senior Gerald Willis was the lone UM football player chosen for the Associ ...

A new batch of evidence presented Monday at the college basketball trial in New York seems to furthe ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that globalization and technolo ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...