Letter to the Editor: UN’s World Conference Against Racism contrary to the group’s ideals

The UN World Conference Against Racism (WCAR) has a name worthy of respect and optimism, as it alludes to the idea of a conference that seeks to generate peace between the different races. But do not let yourself be fooled, the conference seeks to limit our freedom of expression and to promote antagonistic messages towards the state of Israel.

The first problem is that the conference will be run by the so-called Bureau of the Preparatory Committee, chaired by Najat Al-Hajjaji from Libya and the rapporteur will be Resfel Pino Álvarez from Cuba. Cuba and Libya are hardly countries worthy of praise for their humanitarian efforts, according to the U.S. Department of State’s annual human rights report for 2007, Libya has a very poor record in the area of human rights.

The committee also includes countries such as Iran, Pakistan, and Russia, all of which are known for violations of human rights. According to the first draft of the conference, some of the main concerns are “…that a most disturbing phenomenon is the intellectual and ideological validation of Islamophobia,” and, “[beliefs]that association of terrorism and violence with Islam or any other religion, including through publication of offensive caricatures and making of hate documentaries, would purposely complicate our common endeavors.”

The indirect mentioning of the Muhammed cartoons that were published in a newspaper located in my home country, Denmark, and the documentary Submission, directed by Theo van Gogh (who was shot and almost decapitated as a result of the movie) is an embarrassment and proves that the conference seeks to limit our freedom of expression. It is essential that all countries that value basic human rights such as freedom of expression boycott this conference and send a message to the participating countries. Tell them that we will not submit to the primitive restrictions of countries where journalists are thrown in jail or even executed because they do not agree with the ideas of religion. Religion should not be treated with velvet gloves, but should be questioned at every opportunity and it should, by all means, never compromise ideals that are essential for a democracy.

-Jason Jensen
Freshman

Hurricane Reader

Letter to the Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt apparently is a fan of President Teddy Roosevelt’s — or at leas ...

If there was one freshman the Miami Hurricanes knew would have to help entering the season, Brevin J ...

Not only has Gerald Willis been one of the best stories of the Miami Hurricanes’ season, he has also ...

The Miami Hurricanes started the season No. 8 nationally in both major polls. Now, they’re nowhere t ...

With a bye week on the horizon, the meager University of Miami offense has nearly two weeks to attem ...

Fareed Zakaria, a CNN host, journalist and author, tells UM students that global pressures are makin ...

The program, in which UM students mentor high school students, aims to get first generation students ...

Dr. Ralph Sacco, a top neurologist and researcher at the University of Miami Miller School of Medici ...

U.S. Congresswoman and Chairman Emerita of the House Committee on Foreign Affairs Ileana Ros-Lehtine ...

Nearly 400 students participate in the National Gandhi Day of Service, the largest annual service da ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team improved to 10-5, 6-2 in the ACC, with a 3-0 sweep of Boston Co ...

The Miami women's tennis team closed the Bedford Cup with a perfect day, winning each match in ...

"In The Pool" is a series highlighting the University of Miami swimming & diving stude ...

Playing in front of a boisterous home crowd, the University of Miami soccer team earned a, 1-1, draw ...

The Hurricanes fell in their ACC road opener to the Virginia Cavaliers. ...