It’s possible to have a big date on a small budget

Many think the key to a great date is the amount of money put into it, but a memorable Valentine’s Day is still possible on a student budget. This year, instead of trying to impress a date with a fancy meal or an extravagant gift, students can take advantage of various Valentine’s Day events in Miami without having to stretch out their wallets. Here are some Valentine’s ideas for $20 or less.

SEE

Mark di Suervo at Fairchild

What: Among its other exhibits, Fairchild Gardens is featuring sculptures from American artist Mark di Suervo including a never-before-exhibited piece titled Olompali.

Cost: $20 per ticket

When: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where: Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens

Coconut Grove Arts Festival

What: The 46th-annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival will feature over 330 artists, live entertainment and food tastings.

Cost: $7 per day

When: Feb. 14-16 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: Coconut Grove’s McFarlane Road, South Bayshore Drive and Pan American Drive

The Sunset

What: Watch the sun set for an intimate, low-cost date.

Cost: Free

Where: One of the few Miami beaches facing west, the beach off Rickenbacker Causeway in Key Biscayne is a good spot to watch the sun set across the Miami skyline.

LISTEN

“Moonlight & Music” Valentine’s Concert

What: An outdoor concert under the stars, “Moonlight & Music” will be featuring jazz vocalist Nicole Henry and country artist Erin Pettit. Guests are welcome to bring blankets and food for a romantic evening by Biscayne Bay.

Cost: $20 per ticket

When: 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler

DO

Kayak Rentals

What: Rent a kayak at Deering Estate and experience Biscayne Bay’s natural wildlife firsthand. Kayak rentals are available for those 21 or older.

Cost: $10 admission and $10 per hour on the kayak

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler

EAT

Ice Cream on the Beach

What: Eat ice cream from Gelateria Parmalat and take a romantic stroll down Lincoln Road. Parmalat offers over 20 flavors of ice cream with a variety of options ranging from sorbet to light milk gelato that has 70 percent less fat than regular ice cream.

Cost: From $3.69 for a small to $6.37 for a large

When: 12 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.

Where: 670 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ secondary continues to get stronger. Miami, which already holds a pair of comm ...

Mark Richt said he’s spending the bye week evaluating everything about Miami’s offense, a process th ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

A fabulous team of staff and volunteers labors long and hard, primed with school spirit, behind the ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

University of Miami head coach Gino DiMare released the Hurricanes' 2019 baseball schedule Thur ...

Senior Dew Weber of the University of Miami golf team continued to march towards her professional go ...

The University of Miami soccer team dropped its ACC road match against NC State, 1-0, Thursday night ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will take part in the ITA Southeast Regional Champion ...

The University of Miami women's swimming & diving team returns to competition this weekend, ...