It’s possible to have a big date on a small budget

Many think the key to a great date is the amount of money put into it, but a memorable Valentine’s Day is still possible on a student budget. This year, instead of trying to impress a date with a fancy meal or an extravagant gift, students can take advantage of various Valentine’s Day events in Miami without having to stretch out their wallets. Here are some Valentine’s ideas for $20 or less.

SEE

Mark di Suervo at Fairchild

What: Among its other exhibits, Fairchild Gardens is featuring sculptures from American artist Mark di Suervo including a never-before-exhibited piece titled Olompali.

Cost: $20 per ticket

When: 9:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Where: Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens

Coconut Grove Arts Festival

What: The 46th-annual Coconut Grove Arts Festival will feature over 330 artists, live entertainment and food tastings.

Cost: $7 per day

When: Feb. 14-16 from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.

Where: Coconut Grove’s McFarlane Road, South Bayshore Drive and Pan American Drive

The Sunset

What: Watch the sun set for an intimate, low-cost date.

Cost: Free

Where: One of the few Miami beaches facing west, the beach off Rickenbacker Causeway in Key Biscayne is a good spot to watch the sun set across the Miami skyline.

LISTEN

“Moonlight & Music” Valentine’s Concert

What: An outdoor concert under the stars, “Moonlight & Music” will be featuring jazz vocalist Nicole Henry and country artist Erin Pettit. Guests are welcome to bring blankets and food for a romantic evening by Biscayne Bay.

Cost: $20 per ticket

When: 8 p.m. to 12 a.m.

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler

DO

Kayak Rentals

What: Rent a kayak at Deering Estate and experience Biscayne Bay’s natural wildlife firsthand. Kayak rentals are available for those 21 or older.

Cost: $10 admission and $10 per hour on the kayak

When: 10 a.m. to 3 p.m.

Where: Deering Estate at Cutler

EAT

Ice Cream on the Beach

What: Eat ice cream from Gelateria Parmalat and take a romantic stroll down Lincoln Road. Parmalat offers over 20 flavors of ice cream with a variety of options ranging from sorbet to light milk gelato that has 70 percent less fat than regular ice cream.

Cost: From $3.69 for a small to $6.37 for a large

When: 12 p.m. to 1:30 a.m.

Where: 670 Lincoln Road, Miami Beach