Being single can have its advantages on Valentine’s Day

While many students may be busy buying heart-shaped boxes of chocolates, composing odes on Hallmark cards and planning their matching red wardrobes, there are those who cringe at the thought of Valentine’s Day. Usually this is the singleton, resentful that they cannot partake in a holiday that seems designed specifically for those who have a special someone to share it with.

These people can stop shooting hateful glances at their love-stricken friends, however, because being single can actually be a good thing on Valentine’s Day. Here are some advantages to being single on Feb. 14:

• Most couples will be subjected to sappy romantic comedies this Saturday, like He’s Just Not That Into You or Bride Wars. Those without dates can take advantage of the fact that almost every other theater will be empty and watch a movie that has previously been packed or sold out.
  • Couples around this time are scrambling to find the perfect gift for their sweethearts. Singles can feel grateful for having been spared the stress of looking for the right gift and paying for something that probably costs more than it is worth.
  • Although most people would consider being bombarded with candy and sweets desirable, being spared the extra calories is an advantage over friends indulging in candy hearts and chocolate truffles.
  • Unlike those that are busy with dates this Saturday, single guys or girls can watch any sporting events going on Saturday or play the sport of their choice with friends without having to worry about being sweaty for a big date.
  • It won’t be necessary to buy a new outfit or dress up for those staying in on Saturday that prefer to hang out in casual sweats or pajamas.
  • This Saturday, singles will not have to feel bad if they want to go clubbing instead of having a quiet date night. Many clubs in Miami are having special events that night, such as DJ Dance Sessions at Spiegelworld, Sexy in Miami at Club Deep, a Hawaiian Luau party at Nocturnal and Eye Candy at Club Dream. This could be a good way to meet other singles in the area.
  • Pizza or other food delivery for those staying in might not take as long because couples usually reserve this night to go out to a romantic restaurant.

Alexandra Leon

Senior News Writer

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

The No. 21 University of Miami and FIU have met twice in football. But, oh, what a history they have ...

When University of Miami star safety Jaquan Johnson, thought by many to be the best player on the te ...

University of Miami backup tailback DeeJay Dallas, who had his first career 100-yard rushing game Sa ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...

The University of Miami women's golf team concluded Sunday with a sixth-place finish at the 35t ...

The University of Miami golf team is in sixth after the first two rounds of play at the 35th annual ...