Kappa Kappa Gamma to hold philanthropy book fair

UM’s Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter is seeking to impact the lives of underprivileged children through reading.

The sorority will hold its annual Scholastic Book Fair Feb. 16 in the UM breezeway. An assortment of books will be available and the weeklong event supports the chapter’s national philanthropy, Reading Is Fundamental, Inc.

RIF’s highest priority is to motivate youth to read.

The proceeds gathered at this event will help sorority members read at Henry S. West Laboratory School through a program called Reading Buddies.

“Reading Buddies gives me a chance to get involved with little kids that have so much energy and that really want to learn if you approach them the right way,” said Hanna King, a KKG member.

“Through this event we are able to collect the funds necessary that enable us to read new and exciting books in our program,” member Brandi Wyskocil said.

In the spring of 2008 the sorority was able to raise nearly $4,000 to donate to a local school whose library had recently burned down. This year, the sorority wants to raise $5,000 to aid other schools.

Diana Escobar

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...