Kappa Kappa Gamma to hold philanthropy book fair

UM’s Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter is seeking to impact the lives of underprivileged children through reading.

The sorority will hold its annual Scholastic Book Fair Feb. 16 in the UM breezeway. An assortment of books will be available and the weeklong event supports the chapter’s national philanthropy, Reading Is Fundamental, Inc.

RIF’s highest priority is to motivate youth to read.

The proceeds gathered at this event will help sorority members read at Henry S. West Laboratory School through a program called Reading Buddies.

“Reading Buddies gives me a chance to get involved with little kids that have so much energy and that really want to learn if you approach them the right way,” said Hanna King, a KKG member.

“Through this event we are able to collect the funds necessary that enable us to read new and exciting books in our program,” member Brandi Wyskocil said.

In the spring of 2008 the sorority was able to raise nearly $4,000 to donate to a local school whose library had recently burned down. This year, the sorority wants to raise $5,000 to aid other schools.

Diana Escobar

Anthony Solomon will head north for his college football career. The St. Thomas Aquinas linebacker a ...

A day after naming Ephraim Banda and Jonathan Patke co-defensive coordinators, the Miami Hurricanes ...

It doesn’t matter if the number is actually 21 or it’s just what Jeremiah Payton estimates now. Twen ...

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team turned in another stellar defensive performance Sun ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The Hurricanes hosted their annual Football Awards Show Saturday at Gusman Hall, honoring the 2018 S ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...