Kappa Kappa Gamma to hold philanthropy book fair

UM’s Kappa Kappa Gamma chapter is seeking to impact the lives of underprivileged children through reading.

The sorority will hold its annual Scholastic Book Fair Feb. 16 in the UM breezeway. An assortment of books will be available and the weeklong event supports the chapter’s national philanthropy, Reading Is Fundamental, Inc.

RIF’s highest priority is to motivate youth to read.

The proceeds gathered at this event will help sorority members read at Henry S. West Laboratory School through a program called Reading Buddies.

“Reading Buddies gives me a chance to get involved with little kids that have so much energy and that really want to learn if you approach them the right way,” said Hanna King, a KKG member.

“Through this event we are able to collect the funds necessary that enable us to read new and exciting books in our program,” member Brandi Wyskocil said.

In the spring of 2008 the sorority was able to raise nearly $4,000 to donate to a local school whose library had recently burned down. This year, the sorority wants to raise $5,000 to aid other schools.

Diana Escobar

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...

The Hurricanes' deep and talented receiving corps put on a show Saturday against Bethune-Cookma ...

Miami opens conference action Saturday against Virginia Tech. ...