Chi Alpha religious ministry undergoes name change

To attract more members, Chi Alpha, a non-denominational religious ministry, has changed its name.

It is now the University Christian Fellowship at the University of Miami. The name change took effect at the beginning of the spring semester.

Chi Alpha is a national organization that has ministries on campuses throughout the United States.

This changed occurred because the fellowship wanted to be more inclusive. Therefore, it adopted a name intended to indicate that the ministry is for everyone, not just students.

“There was confusion with so many sororities and fraternities on campus and we would have to explain that we are a Christian organization,” said Kimberly Reichel, a senior and the Chi Alpha president.

Joe Lortie, the full-time chaplain for University Christian Fellowship at UM, said that many Chi Alpha chapters do not use the Chi Alpha name and that the UM affiliate has not distanced itself from the national organization.

The idea for changing the name has been in the process for the last year and a half.

“This is not new for people already in the organization,” Lortie said. “There has been very little confusion about the name change because most students understand the rationale behind it.”

To extend its reach even further, the organization goes to South Beach every other week to look for people who need help. It has also started a group called Ladies United Victoriously to help with women’s issues.

Although it does many things, the organization’s main goal is to help facilitate the connection to God, according to Reichel.

The organization meets every Sunday in the Eaton dormitory, where many students, faculty and professors attend the fellowship.

Abigail Garner

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

At the annual Hug the Lake, sustainability manager Teddy Lhoutellier was honored for improving the e ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Hurricanes will open an eight-game homestand with a midweek matchup against crosstown FIU on Wed ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Stone played in 85 career games at University of Florida. ...

Come join head coach Manny Diaz and the Miami Hurricanes football program in the brand new Carol Sof ...

The Miami women's tennis team continued its ascent up the national rankings Tuesday, moving up ...