Baseball

University of Miami baseball coach Jim Morris reacts to A-Rod’s confession

Just 24 hours after South Florida native and New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez admitted to using performance-enhancing drugs from 2001-2003, University of Miami baseball head coach Jim Morris responded to the news.

“I am not in a position to talk about that,” Morris said. “The only thing I know about Alex [Rodriguez] is that he is a guy committed to the University of Miami. He originally signed with us. He is a great player that works hard and is always out here. He is a friend of mine, and I enjoy watching him play. He is as good as anybody in baseball.”

Rodriguez recently donated $4 million to UM, 3.9 of which went specifically to the baseball team and renovations for a new press box, weight room, video room, study lounge and wooden lockers. The stadium is set to be renamed Mark Light Field at Alex Rodriguez Park.

A-Rod signed a letter of intent to become a Hurricane after playing high school ball at Westminster Christian in Southwest Miami-Dade, but elected to go to the major leagues at the age of 18.

In an exclusive interview with ESPN on Monday, he confessed to using performance-enhancing drugs during his career with the Texas Rangers when he agreed to the then-most lucrative contract in sports history: $252 million over 10 years.

“I did take a banned substance and for that I am very sorry and deeply regretful,” Rodriguez said from his home in Miami.

Selena Roberts, the Sports Illustrated reporter who broke the story, confronted Rodriguez with the allegation at the Hecht Athletic Center last Wednesday.

The University of Miami preseason banquet is still scheduled for 6 p.m. Friday on the baseball diamond, with the 11-time all-star expected to be in attendance.

“[Rodriguez] spends more time at this ballpark working out and in our weight room than anybody I know of,” Morris said.

Justin Antweil

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...