Students react to first year of deferred Greek recruitment

While the University of Miami football team is signing recruits and trying to impress the best players in the nation all year long, fraternity life at UM  is following a similar path.

Last Thursday marked Bid Day for the school’s fraternities and concluded the first year of deferred recruitment, during which freshmen could not accept bids to join fraternities until the spring semester. In years previous, freshmen were allowed to join Greek life in their first two weeks on campus.

“It’s not the same hectic, chaotic rush that it used to be. It takes a lot more work from individual brothers,” said sophomore Jesse Leeds, Alpha Sigma Phi’s rush chairman. “Now you have to form the connection first and have more of a personal relationship with [freshmen].”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, made the decision in 2007. According to an earlier Hurricane article, Whitely said she wanted to make sure that first-year students did not feel pressured to decide right away if and where they want to go Greek.

“A lot of the freshmen we are seeing out at our events took more time to get to know fraternities and what works for them,” said junior Adam Margol, Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s rush chairman.

This extra semester to get to know freshmen means that fraternities have to do more outside of the two-week rush period.

“We still have our big events, because you’ve got to meet people. Before you can get to know someone, you’ve got to meet them in the first place,” Leeds said. “We have a lot more focus this rush on meeting kids in a more intimate setting, like just playing a game of basketball with them instead of just inviting them out to the next huge event.”

Even though this system seems to be creating more knowledgeable rushes and fraternities, there are downsides.

“These freshmen miss out on a semester of getting involved,” Margol said. “I rushed in the fall and joined as a way to get more involved on campus, and these guys don’t have that.”

Sororities at UM also had deferred recruitment for the first time this year. Panhellenic Bid Day was on Jan. 19.

Alex Bryant

Contributing Sports Writer

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...