Students react to first year of deferred Greek recruitment

While the University of Miami football team is signing recruits and trying to impress the best players in the nation all year long, fraternity life at UM  is following a similar path.

Last Thursday marked Bid Day for the school’s fraternities and concluded the first year of deferred recruitment, during which freshmen could not accept bids to join fraternities until the spring semester. In years previous, freshmen were allowed to join Greek life in their first two weeks on campus.

“It’s not the same hectic, chaotic rush that it used to be. It takes a lot more work from individual brothers,” said sophomore Jesse Leeds, Alpha Sigma Phi’s rush chairman. “Now you have to form the connection first and have more of a personal relationship with [freshmen].”

Patricia A. Whitely, vice president for Student Affairs, made the decision in 2007. According to an earlier Hurricane article, Whitely said she wanted to make sure that first-year students did not feel pressured to decide right away if and where they want to go Greek.

“A lot of the freshmen we are seeing out at our events took more time to get to know fraternities and what works for them,” said junior Adam Margol, Sigma Alpha Epsilon’s rush chairman.

This extra semester to get to know freshmen means that fraternities have to do more outside of the two-week rush period.

“We still have our big events, because you’ve got to meet people. Before you can get to know someone, you’ve got to meet them in the first place,” Leeds said. “We have a lot more focus this rush on meeting kids in a more intimate setting, like just playing a game of basketball with them instead of just inviting them out to the next huge event.”

Even though this system seems to be creating more knowledgeable rushes and fraternities, there are downsides.

“These freshmen miss out on a semester of getting involved,” Margol said. “I rushed in the fall and joined as a way to get more involved on campus, and these guys don’t have that.”

Sororities at UM also had deferred recruitment for the first time this year. Panhellenic Bid Day was on Jan. 19.

Alex Bryant

Contributing Sports Writer

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...